Pretty good experience with some drawbacks

Former Employee - Communications Intern  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Communications Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was exceptionally friendly; the interns (and law fellows, to an extent) all bonded. Opportunities to attend events with lots of big names in D.C. They hire out of the intern pool a LOT.

Cons

Unpaid, only $100 in travel stipend for 10 weeks, which is ridiculously low for D.C.'s metro system. Few of the interns had enough work to do; I knew someone who regularly went home at 2 or 3 p.m. and everyone else was surfing the Internet for at least half the day. There's some, but not a lot of, critical examination of the HRC party line.

Expect more of your interns! They can all handle more work, and more substantive work too.

Other Reviews for Human Rights Campaign

Interning with HRC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern

Pros

I think the atmosphere at HRC is amazing. The people are really nice and there's no one with a superiority complex. We have a lot of help available to us as interns and people are always eager to answer any questions you have. You learn a lot about the LGBT movement and its history. The brownbag luncheons were really informative. They also feed you really great food!

Cons

The internship was unpaid and our travel stipends were really meager, which makes it a bit difficult to manage.

I know it may not be possible to pay interns, but please think about raising the amount you give interns for the travel stipend.

Good place to learn, not to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work on key issues in the LGBT community and be a part of measurable change in state and federal work. HRC is a leader with strong funding ties, making it a very stable place to work. At HRC, there's a good opportunity for learning a set of varied skills outside of the immediate demands of the work.

Cons

Very corporate culture and a reputation for steamrolling other organizations that can make the internal politics of the broader coalition difficult to navigate. In some departments, there is no opportunity to move up either because of existing structure or a tendency to hire management from an external pool of applicants rather than from within.

There are newer employer reviews for Human Rights Campaign.

Worked for Human Rights Campaign? Contribute to the Community!