Humana
www.humana.com Louisville, KY 5000+ Employees

It's not what you accomplish, but who sees it

Strategic Consultant (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana

ProsA lot of smart, intelligent people work at Humana.
Decent health benefits, unless you get sick often or have kids.
A Centre College bachelor's degree seems to provide some sort of magical pedigree for advancement.
Mike McCallister is a brilliant CEO, Humana will miss his leadership.

ConsNegotiate a salary with which you'll be satisifed for at least three years, because you won't even smell a raise before then.

I agree with the observation that Humana is not a Fortune 100 company, but a small Kentucky health-plan that got extraordinarily lucky to stumbling onto a federal program (Medicare Advantage in South Florida) early on, and that the place is run like a Rotary Club -- you can only advance based on personal popularity, regardless of what you've accomplished.

Calibration seems to only reward only associates in positions who have high visibility -- I've seen star employees with timid directors get passed over for raises that were rewarded to mediocre performers reporting to glad-handing dandies.

C'mon it's 2012, how come people who never get to leave their cubicles have to wear neckties?

Advice to Senior ManagementProfits from the Medicare Advantage golden goose (South Florida) won't last forever.

It was ok

Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Humana

Pros: Tuition reimbursement, benefits, location, flexibility, pay Cons: Overtime, elevators, parking, food prices, management Advice to Senior Management: Recruite more within More

Rewarding

Medicare Risk Adjustment (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana

Pros: Great work atmosphere. Great exposure. Cons: Long route to advancement oportunities Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Humana.

Worked for Humana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Humana reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Humana CEO Bruce D. Broussard. All reviews posted anonymously by Humana employees.