Humana
www.humana.com Louisville, KY 5000+ Employees

Big let down

Grievence and Appeals (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

ProsDecent pay starting out but over time it becomes restricted. Worked with some good management members directly. Work/Life balance was decent, benefits were okay. They have good intentions and processes, but not everyone follows them.

ConsBiggest downside is if you are not in the "in crowd" or good friends with people in power positions it is very difficult to get a promotion. Promotions tend to be more about who you know rather than what you know. Saw many people promoted to positions that they were not qualified for (small things like using microsoft excel, knowing the processes, familiarity with the systems, etc). The communication between cross-functional teams is very poor, almost non-existent. Hard to do you work when changes are made and not shared with other areas affected by the change. Leadership can be spiteful, almost to the point of a witch hunt. Personally felt attacked on numerous occasions when bringing concerns to management and then being told that you are not a team player. No mentor programs or anything to help associates gain knowledge in other areas they may want to move to in their career. Moving freeze that is in place for 6 months at a time really kills morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication between cross-functional teams. Medicare industry is volatile and policies are constantly changing. Changes need to be relayed immediately instead taking "we will take care of it the next day and figure it out then" method. Provide a mentor program or career coaching. Do away with the moving freeze.

Not for everyone

Member Services (Former Employee)
    Springdale, OH

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Some hard techs- good extra benefits (tution reimbursement, on site… Cons: Extra long hours- mandatory overtime, gives us pto but hardly allowed to use it. Favoritism is defiantly in place. Management does not understand how mentally… Advice to Senior Management: Pay more attention to associates concerns No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Job was not what I was told it would be. No apologies.

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Roswell, GA

I have been working at Humana full-time for less than a year

Pros: Company is committed to the communities it serves. Excellent 401k… Cons: Humana is very clicky and leadership encourages back stabbing and infighting, especially in the small market sales. There is virtually no training or support… Advice to Senior Management: Humana is still run like it is 1995. Micromanagement, Lack of work/life balance… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Humana.

Worked for Humana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Humana reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Humana CEO Bruce D. Broussard. All reviews posted anonymously by Humana employees.