There are newer employer reviews for Humana

Progressive company. Team atmosphere. Invest much training in employees.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Humana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, vision. All work closely as team

Cons

Perhaps few too many weekly meetings which were beneficial but also out you behind on other job responsibilities.

Keep up good job!

734 Other Employee Reviews for Humana (View Most Recent)

Innovative

Former Employee - Team Lead in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company strives to adapt to changing policies and politics, and works to stay a step ahead of the competition. Their dedication to customer service is noble.

Cons

As a young, white male, I always felt like a minority in the company. Although my many accomplishments were recognized, they were swept under the rug as "normal day-to-day work". Due to attrition, more work kept getting piled onto already-understaffed teams, yet the company's committment to excellence left no room for mistakes.

Employees are like family and Humana sees it that way for the most part. However, when workers put in 10 loyal years, they would expect a chance to protect their position in the company. The mood in the trenches has changed to fear. Lofty goals are noble (Perfect Service), but we are all human and we are not perfect. Effort should be heralded regardless of mistakes. If associates are willing to put in the time and effort to do right and do better, that should at least count for something.

An easily hateable place to waste 40+ hours each week.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in De Pere, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in De Pere, WI

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Above average salary.
    - Generous tuition reimbursement.
    - We have a pond out back. That's kind of neat.

Cons

Here's a perfect example of how this place works. If you're in a meeting room and you don't like the temperature, you can't touch the thermostat in the room. In short, De Pere has to call Louisville who calls a different De Pere number to handle climate control.

Benefits are garbage. The health insurance offers next to no coverage unless you shell out several thousand dollars first. Premiums are way over inflated for the coverage you get. Any kind of customer service position will see virtually every member has better coverage than they do and may pay less for it.

Politics are horrible. If your supervisor does not like you, they will look for a reason to ride you out of there. I have seen this countless times with tenured employees.

I was randomly pulled into a room with management and grilled regarding a personal matter that required time away from work. I was initially told the time away was fine, but then someone in upper management decided it was not. I was threatened over the course of two weeks regarding this while an inappropriate level of personal information was requested by management to "investigate" my issue. Ended up with a write up over something I was initially told was fine.

You'll routinely be asked to learn new skills, complete additional training, and have a heightened skillset once you're there for a while. The more I took on, the less flexibility I had. I could never adjust my schedule when the opportunity came up. PTO was now HARDER to use because only 1 person with my skillset could have the day off. It's a sucker's move to do more than the bare minimum job function.

Don't ever get sick. I became very ill during my initial training period. My trainer contacted her manager and they agreed to let me leave early for the day. I did not request this. When I returned to work, I was told that because this was a day before a holiday that they would not be paying me for that time. I fought to no avail with the supervisor. When I told my trainer about this, luckily she was able to fight for me and I did get that time paid. Having to provide an EOB from my doctor was ridiculous. And, like I said, they sent me home -- and then tried to punish me for it!

Family member has a serious health condition. I applied for FMLA through their third party company Unum. After taking some time, I get a letter in the mail that they're revoking my leave because of a "pattern" of absences. They enclose paperwork to give to my doctor for my serious health condition....even though I'm obviously not the ill one. I have to fight (including a shouting match with an outsourced nightmare of a human being) because a specific date was not included for one phase of treatment and this treatment was weeks at a time. It was literally the equivalent of a t not being crossed, but they didn't hesitate to rake me over the coals for it.

I'm not the only one that has had a problem with these vultures. A co-worker with a deteriorating heart condition was threatened over an absence where their supervisor had to call an ambulance. This co-worker also got FMLA time, but was routinely interrogated over absences as the condition got worse.

Another co-worker flat out gave up trying to get time approved for their child's condition.

HR is a waste of time. I had the same supervisor for a year. When I was eligible to apply for other positions in different departments, I did not hesitate. Through the interview process, I found out my supervisor was speaking ill of me to one of the hiring managers that she was close friends with. After more than a year of being barked at and blatantly treated differently (as point out by several co-workers) I attempted to contact HR to report unprofessional treatment.

Three days after filing my initial complaint, I received a call from a guy and he immediately dismissed me. He told me we had "personality conflicts" and they didn't get in the middle of those. I had several pages of notes and willing co-workers to speak on my behalf on the treatment I received compared to others. Didn't matter. They did offer to speak to my supervisor, but then point blank told me this would all but ruin any chance of me getting an offer in a different department. Retaliation, much?

Threats. You're always doing something wrong. Dress code is always a big one. A co worker wore a themed shirt for breast cancer during our breast cancer awareness week. She was threatened with discipline because the shirt had a hood on it -- but was not a "hoodie."

Management decided to resurface the parking lot. Employees were forced to park in the fields and gravel areas surrounding the building. We received a nasty email from the VP onsite telling us there is PLENTY of parking and anyone parking in a "non paved" area would be towed! Yes, they closed a large portion of the parking lot and then threatened to tow people that had no choice but to park in the mud.

This place is so far gone and no one cares. You need to scorch the Earth to make any kind of improvement.

There are newer employer reviews for Humana