There are newer employer reviews for Humana

I love Humana!

Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY
Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Humana is a wonderful employer. Associates are encouraged multiple times daily to take care of their wellness. There are onsite fittness centers with classes and personal trainers. Humana also encourages career development. There are a variety of resources to help associates grow.

Cons

Management is sometimes disorganized and some parts of the company often are out of the loop when it comes to opportunities and certain benefits.

Humana Response

Jul 23, 2013Project Manager: Social Media

Thank you for your kind review. We really appreciate the feedback especially when it comes to associates buying into our philosophy of well-being.

reviews filtered by

Humana Is A Superb Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company spares no expense when it comes to learning opportunities. The educational resources alone are enough to seriously consider employment with Humana. There are so many resources that one will be challenged to find them all. The fact that this company spares no expense when it comes to investment in the associates' overall well-being is why I give it three stars despite negative items I'll list. I speak from personal experience in my current department. I can't claim that the entire company is rotten as I've only worked in a single department.

Cons

If culture had a smell, the stench inside my department would be unbearable. The leadership who should be professional and lead by example are often heard engaging in hateful generalizations about men; there is a blatant lack of respect for males at Humana. Production goals are unrealistic due leadership’s lack of knowledge of required processes; and this fact forces associates to cut corners which increases the chance of inconvenience to the customer. Fellow associates are often obnoxious due in part to being a byproduct of the toxic and stress inducing environment. Leadership with no knowledge of the supervised associates' work type is the norm. The culture in the MSO department breeds distrust, the very person who smiles at you will be the one stabbing you in the back for a few APAT brownies. Speaking of APAT, you will never get a raise unless you are liked by someone in power, say your frontline leader. The APAT is nothing more than a smokescreen used to justify who gets raises. It is a document with predetermined, vaguely defined “competencies” that are redefined each year to fit the associates who are favorites among leadership. This process is called “calibrations” and it is a sickening display politics. You are judged by everything. The words you speak and write will be used against you. Do not make the mistake of thinking your words won’t affect getting a raise, the sellout standing next to you is like a built in surveillance apparatus.

Humana almost has a cult-like feel. Those who have "drank the cool-aid" will preach of feeling like family or speak of the company as if it is a deity. Humana has a nice green logo and smiling faces to create warmth and glow for its brand, but depending on what business unit you find yourself, it is rotten to the core. The company boldly expresses a “what have you done for me lately attitude.” Imagine a Warren Buffet refusing a child a lollipop unless that child washes the windows of his vehicle, pretty self-serving.

Despite all the maladies that plague this company, or at least my department, I still recommend seeking employment here for the positive reasons I listed above. Despite the fact that you’ll never be compensated what you’re worth working for this company, it has provided the best thing one can get for free; knowledge. Use Humana as a stepping stone and then take your newly acquired skills elsewhere. I don’t believe there are very many companies who provide the educational resources found here. The culture within is a lemon, but the lemon-aid is the best.

To corporate leadership I would advise more attention to internal issues that impact associates. I don't think you realize the power we have elevate the Humana brand by truly walking the talk. Stop believing the lies your managers feed you through fear induced answers from fake associate engagement surveys. Truly make your employees happy with all the values you preach to us and you will save billions in advertisement costs via word of mouth promotion alone.

Don't Drink the KoolAid

Current Employee - EIS in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - EIS in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Resources, student tuition reimbursement, work from home program

Cons

Lest start with the company as a whole, the healthcare benefits are a joke, particularly for a healthcare company, they make you try to think (here is where the kool aid comes in) that a HDHP is a great thing, that's it their to promote your health and "Life long Well Being" a term you get tired of hearing over and over again day after day, when in fact the reason Humana ONLY offers a HDHP to their own employees is to save a buck (cheap bastards). Then they charge you for gym access, make you pay more if you put your spouse on your plan, funny for a HEALTHCARE provider that nonstop preaches "Life Long Well-being". Allot of of Senior Management is incompetent, doesn't care about whats going on the ground level so long as the numbers are good. This place is all on where you are, what department, building and management chain. Some are very happy, others are absolutely miserable. I have seen some managers lose dozens of team members quite due to bad management, and the upper management do nothing. They lose allot of good people that way, but not my problem anymore, if you look at Humana, look at the management and department carefully and whatever you do, don't buy into the Koolaid. Humana needs to understand that Vitality, promoting health initiatives, gym bags, diet guidance are all good things but at the end of the day people want health insurance first and they want their healthcare provider to help them pay their Dr. bills, and not have to arm wrestle them over EVERYTHING! Perfect service, hmmmmmmmm okaaaaay!

Spend as much time csaring and supporting your team as you do your numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for Humana