There are newer employer reviews for Humana

Great company to work for

I have been working at Humana

Pros

Diverse, great leaders, caring, does a lot of community work

Cons

Need to be more proactive

Advice to Management

Be fair with internal positions.

reviews filtered by

Poor hiring process

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent hours. Competitive pay

Cons

Deception & favoritism everywhere. Performance means nothing bc it's really all about who you know. Terrible hiring process. People do not get a fair chance when they apply for a job. System is old & antiquated.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management at Irving TX location & hire new people ASAP since they use race as a factor when hiring!

Work Life Balance? Depends on department where you work.....

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great matching 401K program, above average pay, overall benefit package is decent, room for growth seems to be available.

Cons

During busy season it is IMPOSSIBLE to schedule any appointments for your personal needs and they have virtually no concern for your personal well-being during "season". You are told during the interview process and training that the overtime is MANDATORY (first of all, there's no such thing). You are literally scheduled for 11.5 hour days five days a week and then sometimes on the 6th day. They will add overtime with less than 24 hours notice and you are expected to be there even if you have scheduled an appointment--unless you can get someone to trade your shift. I have less of an issue with the mandatory overtime than I do the last minute changes to your schedule--neither of these situations, however, operates under their corporate talk of "work-life balance". They expect "perfect service" from the staff, which is fine...all members should be given accurate information and have their needs exceeded. HOWEVER, there are serious IT system issues which literally prevent you from giving accurate information to customers or force you to do work arounds that ultimately cause customers to spend more time than necessary to obtain the requested information. And the response to that it is......"it is what it is, we are aware of it". Well, one year later of being told "it's a known issue" is more than a little disturbing. The "big picture" is not readily clear among management in my department. Unfortunately, they are more focused on whether or not I have called the wrong department to obtain some information for my customer or perhaps have failed to find the answer to my question in their never-ending volumes of documents telling you how to get your job done--before contacting someone for assistance. It's almost as if the "process" of getting information for your customers and getting your questions answered is actually more important than the end result. And that does not make for good business sense. But, then again, I am speaking of only one department of approximately 1400 people.

Advice to Management

No real advice for executive management, but local management--listen to the front line employees. They are the one's with the customer contact, every single day. If for an entire year, you continue to hear the same thing, then trust that it is an issue with the customers. We are not just talking to hear ourselves talk, because quite frankly, we talk all day long to customers.