Exceptional place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hunt Oil Company

Pros

- Top management and leadership is extremely capable, accessible and accomplished
- Great Employee benefits
- Promote from within the company

Cons

It is a smaller company in an extremely competitive industry. Could focus more on the other subsidiaries of Hunt Consolidated (Hunt realty, Hunt investments) rather than Hunt Oil

Advice to Management

Continue being a global leader in exploration. The safety record and environmental programs should continue to set an example to other oil companies.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to be, if it is the right work for you

Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hunt Oil Company

Pros

basically everything that could be a pro is a pro from typical standards.

Cons

I dislike how they do not entirely believe in giving assignments, instead leaving the employee to find their own work to try and prove themselves. I am an overacheiver, and I need a standard so that I may exceed it. Otherwise I am constantly uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Give assignments with deadlines

2. Darwin had it right... survival depends on the ability to adapt and change.

Current Employee - Analyst/Tech in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst/Tech in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hunt Oil Company

Pros

Pay is competitive and benefits are fairly good. Although it takes a long time to be vested (there is no step-vesting) and lots of people are forced out before vesting occurs.

Cons

There is a tremendous amount of hierarchy building among upper management. The company operates on a secretive, cut-throat basis, and only the most viscious are successful. Brownnosers and tattletales are rewarded at the expense of people who are just trying to do their job and survive. People who speak up about problem areas are severely punished.

At the same time there is a failure to communicate expectations and timelines. My boss changes his minds frequently leaving me and other employees off-balance and with unrealistic deadlines and vague expectations.

As a company, there is a failure by individuals to share information and to grab all the credit when something goes well, but shift blame for problem areas.

The hours are long and strictly monitored. Employees vacation time is often interrupted. This company has no concept of work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should listen to the information provided in the employee survey and take it seriously. Although the majority of people who work for Hunt Oil Company will tell you they have an "open door policy," most people are also aware that there is punishment associated with speaking up.