Huntingdon Life Sciences

Absolute nightmare

Current Employee - Lab Technician
Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Huntingdon Life Sciences

Pros

Good vacation (2-4 weeks for most departments)
Decent pay

Cons

Extremely rude and incompetent management
They will promote friends who often struggle the most with basic tasks
Middle managers will talk badly about their subordinates in front of other employees
Many employees will abuse new hires by pawning off work on them
Actual science is very iffy, animals are not treated very nicely in this facility
Horrible and expensive health care, poor benefits
Often work very long hours and must work most weekends.

I have no advice for management because I believe they need to clean house. Current management at HLS is toxic and will continue to promote liars and colluders above hard workers. People who exhibit intelligence are often denied training while those who struggle are trained in advanced techniques. This secures the more desirable positions for the senior employees.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Huntingdon Life Sciences (View Most Recent)

Chaotic, stressful hell-hole. Do not work here!

Current Employee - Toxicology Study Director in Alconbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Toxicology Study Director in Alconbury, England (UK)

Pros

Pros
    The staff turnover at Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) is very high (ignore the staff turnover figures quoted by HR they are fudged to make the company look good). Due to the high turnover the company are usually desperate for staff and this means they will take pretty much anyone. In a market where experience counts HLS is an easy place to get into and to gain experience before moving to a decent company.

Cons

The majority of departments in HLS are chronically under-resourced and overstretched. The staff work long hours because senior management have totally failed to provide adequate staff numbers, systems, process or equipment. Staff illness through stress and exhaustion is an almost routine occurrence within many areas but nobody in management either cares or can/will do anything about it.. A good example of this lack of investment is the company's analytical areas which are reliant on outdated equipment and a total lack of any data handling infrastructure. In my post as a study director I know of at least two areas that rely on the manual transcription of data from print outs into spreadsheets with a high transcription error rate. The net result of this is that the company is very in-efficient, takes a long time to conduct a study and as a result has poor profit margins. It is very clearly slowly bleeding to death.

The vast majority of staff have no faith in the company or it's ability to deliver services to it's clients. Whilst it is hard to identify a single problem in a company with so many failings, the finger of blame must point to the poor direction of the UK operation (PCB) which has been without the leadership or vision that a modern company requires.

1. Our business is overstretched. We must divest ourselves of any area that is not our core business and reinvest into those that are. We can no longer have a finger in every pie.

2. Pay your staff better or they will leave.

3. Your business is imploding. For goodness sake, WAKE UP!

Worse company to work for.

I have been working at Huntingdon Life Sciences

Pros

Opportunity to learn for fresh graduates.

Cons

Very unprofessional. Most of the staff are under qualified, so do not expect them to behave like an educated. Management do not respect employees effort and hard work (with very few exceptions). Way too under paid. No 401K matching. Highly stressful, you will have to have some super powers to be able to survive in this place. Forget about being successful there. Working there is very unhealthy physically and mentally.
    Favoritism is the biggest issue.

Respect your employees, give them proper training. Give them enough time to learn to be able to perform efficiently. Hire enough staff. Hire qualified and experienced people into management. Most of the time, management themselves have no clue of what is right and what is wrong.

There are newer employer reviews for Huntingdon Life Sciences