Huntington Learning Centers

There are newer employer reviews for Huntington Learning Centers

Legal Work Practices?

Current Employee - Tutor in Lawrence, NJ
Current Employee - Tutor in Lawrence, NJ

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful coworkers
In theory, it is nice that Huntington aims to teach not just to the test (SAT, ACT) but to teach the skills and material necessary to do well on the test

Cons

Some shady practices - asking tutors to come in up to an hour early and stay late to finish paperwork, but you can only clock in 5 minutes before your shift and must clock out 5 minutes after your scheduled shifts ends; Also not paying for the hours completed in training until 3 months after you've been working at the center...
Really poor materials. Full of typos, unclear explanations (unclear even for college grads, much less high school students struggling with the test)
Low salary compared to similar positions (and you're not allowed to speak to parents at all, maybe for fear that the parents will realize that only a tiny portion of their thousands of dollars are going to tutors?)

Pay tutors a more competitive wage, including prep time. Improve teaching materials.

Huntington Learning Centers Response

Oct 26, 2013Franchisee

This former employee, who is a recent college grad and was to receive training for educational tutoring at Huntington, completed a telephone interview where among other things, hourly rates and ... More

183 Other Employee Reviews for Huntington Learning Centers (View Most Recent)

Offered a Job? Very Misleading

Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Never got a chance to find out

Cons

Grossly Low Pay (9/hr)
    Disorganized Management

I interviewed and was seemingly offered a job as a 'teacher' aka tutor.

Firstly, interview went great, so much so that I was given the card of the Assistant Director of the site and was told she would be in touch in a couple days to set up training in the next week. Couple days go by and I hear nothing back, so I give her a call. Come to find out that they are not moving forward with any of their candidates.

As a recent graduate, this is so very frustrating. Please do not tell me that I have a job and that training will be next week and then nothing. This just speaks to disorganization and poor leadership. For all the money and time that parents and students are putting into this place, you would think organization and clear objectives would be paramount.

Tutor

Former Employee - Huntington Tutor in Palm City, FL
    Former Employee - Huntington Tutor in Palm City, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great kids and coworkers. Great to see the kids progress. Good organization of sub skills into practice. Flexible work.

Cons

Low pay, little appreciation, no scheduled breaks, irregular scheduling (sometimes feast, sometimes famine), not paid when students don't show. Center closed without warning.

Better scheduling and policies for no show students would help create a better environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Huntington Learning Centers