Huntington National Bank

Extreme micromanagement

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Portage, MI
Former Employee - Personal Banker in Portage, MI

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Huntington's branding, product offering, and commitment to service really is geared to be in the best interest of the customer. Their 24-hour grace program is really outstanding, and they've marketed it very well.

Cons

They need to reevaluate their sales culture. In 2010, it took an incredibly aggressive twist, with little thought given to the ability to attain the goals laid out for individuals and branches. The drastic increase in goals was subsidized by the ideal that the money spent on rebranding and other corporate initiatives would drive more business to the office (which happened, but on an incredibly small level--not nearly enough to justify the drastic goal increase.) There is an extremely micromanaged sales process that is more cumbersome than effective. Their utilization of CRM is well-intentioned, but incredibly flawed. Termination is far too swift, and can happen as early as a month after getting written up.

There is an obvious detachment between upper management and customer-facing employees. Ease up on the sales requirements, and get to the root of why bankers are struggling with performance before terminating them.

260 Other Employee Reviews for Huntington National Bank (View Most Recent)

Desperate and Floundering underneath the immense expenses taken on by their "New Branding"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

The only positive experiences I have obtained while working at Huntington is simply the customer service skills I've been able to build upon and the lending experience.

Cons

I received virtually no training on Huntington's computer systems, which in the beginning reflected very poorly on the company since I had to learn purely by experience, while working with customers. The communication between departments, especially when putting through loan applications, is completely asinine. Talk to any banker in the NE region and they'll agree it takes 10 times as long as it should to get a response from the loan department, prompting clients to move on. As the "re-branding" of Huntington really took off, one had to wonder where all this money they were spending was coming from. With extended hours, free accounts, and a 24 hour grace period, how will they make up the revenue being spent on the expensive marketing and branch renovations? So far, the pressure of making up that money has trickled down to us in the branch with high goals and sales expectations. I predict HNB will lose much of it's top talent to other organizations and break down completely; maybe not this year, maybe not 2 years from now, but it will definitely happen.

Management by intimidation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Benefits packages and facilities are good.

Cons

Unrealistic setting of goals. Once a goal is reached it is then raised to an uttainable level.
    No encouragement for success, only criticism about failures.
    Little support coming from senior management with complete disinterest for emplyoyee input.
    Make your goals our you are "out'.

Show value and respect toward long term employees. Stop negative management practices.

There are newer employer reviews for Huntington National Bank