Huron Consulting Group

Long Hours, Hard Work, Good Pay, No Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company has a great corporate culture. There are multiple projects that you can be a part of, and if you are willing to take initiative you will be promoted. The benefits are good, and with the amount of travel you will easily build up hotel and airline points that will allow you to take free trips around the globe in no time. Huron also has a lot of smart people. I've never worked with someone I didn't think was sharp.

Cons

The travel is awful. While you may think you are prepared for if you have never done it....trust me you aren't. If you have a family that is use to you being at home, this job is not for you. While the pay is good, you probably should get paid more for the amount of hours you actually put in. This company also doesn't have many minorities. Chances are if you happen to be a person of color you will be the only one on any given project......Also lots of turnover. People get hired, fired, or quit pretty regularly, but thats the nature of the industry.

Continue to place people in roles where they can be effective, and focus a bit more on diversity.

250 Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

Healthcare groups vary significantly

Former Employee - Healthcare Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to travel and learn a lot quickly

Cons

There is a lot of variation between the different healthcare group. Some are management very well and have very structured teams and project objectives. Others are a total mess and often go to projects not know what their role is. Also, some groups promote often within their group, and others leave analysts and associates in their levels for years with no promotion in sight.

Leverage your lower level employees. Be sure to give credit where credit is due. Promote from within- it will greatly improve team morale.

Great job for recent grads; but move on after a few years

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. The company goes out of its way to make the job as fun as possible. They consistently organize small events for your project to make the time away from home pass by more quickly.
    2. The vast majority of the company is made up of honest, intelligent, and hardworking individuals. Huron has a few jerks just like any other corporate consulting company, but overall everyone is pretty cool.

Cons

1. The market wage for consultants at Huron is slightly below the market wage for consultants at other firms. After four years at Huron, I was making $75k annually, plus bonus, which ranged from anywhere between $2k and $10k.
    2. The work can get repetitive after a few years
    3. I often felt like Huron was developing me into a strong Huron employee, not a strong consultant and/or leader in general. Granted, they are not responsible for overall personal and professional development, but as a young person I wanted more so that I would be better prepared for my next career.

There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!