Collegiate Culture with Peers but Excessive Formality with Management

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Huron and thought my peers were great. It was a collegiate atmosphere where peers helped one another out. I worked with a lot of fun, smart people.

Cons

Easily can get stuck specializing in something you're not interested in - this happened to me.
I didn't want to specialize but there was a need for someone with any of this expertise. I got put in this group - expressed interest in other work - but was not given much experience outside of this specialty.

Interactions with management were so formal to the point where I felt I couldn't be myself. And disagreeing with management is not taken well. Junior staff is essentially encouraged to always say 'yes' in order to nurture favoritism. This is common throughout the organization and with every MD I worked with, management seems to foster this formality.

The formality also extends into promotions. It seems like you get promoted only when they have really no choice but to promote you. You have been working on a higher level for maybe a year already, even two years. You don't get promoted because management knows you can perform at the next level. Instead you are slowly, very slowly given incremental responsibilities until you are actually performing at the next level for a while.

The organization was very Manager level heavy at the time I left Huron. Too many Managers and not enough seasoned Associates. As a result the promotion to Manager for an Associate becomes that much more difficult, unless you have been with Huron and within the same Group since graduating from college. They do favor internal promotions over new hires who have to 'prove' themselves.

Other Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

OK if you're a billable consultant, not so much for corp employees

Former Employee - IT Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have some nice benefits, such as work-life allowance (that's an extra $300 per year you can spend on gym memberships, bike purchase etc), they allow you to keep the bonus points accrued by your corporate credit card (which is kinda weird, as essentially this motivates employees to spend more in corporate expenses), you can get some retail discounts with their corporate program. Fairly nice career paths for billable consultants (or so I heard). Stock matching options. You may meet some nice and professional people over there and learn from them, if you're lucky.

Cons

If you're a corporate employee, there's virtually no career growth or professional development. During my time there, I obtained a number of professional certifications (like PMP etc.), and wasn't reimbursed a dime for training or certification fees. Oh, and no raise as well. Either I would be told that this isn't aligned to my career path at Huron, or my supervisor would just dodge the conversation. I knew some people there who've been an analysts for more than five years with no substantial raise or promotion. Ironically enough, they appear to promote PD and even have an online "Huron Academy", which is nothing but a big joke - it's mostly focused on anti-sexual harassment and anti-bribery training.

There's a lot of office politics involved, and quite often people who succeed there aren't the brightest, but the ones who kiss butts best/most. I met some IT managers over there with both technical and managerial skills of a grapefruit. As you can learn by reading the Wikipedia article about Huron, the company was formed by former Arthur Andersen partners and in addition to that was involved into a major scandal in 2009. Now, after I worked there, I think I know why.

Like any large company, there's lots of time wasted on all kinds of conference calls, most of them have no purpose whatsoever and are conducted simply because they are scheduled or to make managers happy. One example would be - when one of the practice leaders got fired, we had 4 (that is four, and I'm not exaggerating) calls about 20 minutes each where all of us had to listen how good it is that he's being kicked out and how better our life now would be (needless to say that most of us never seen this guy and didn't care at all). Weekly conference status call, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly and semi-monthly with a senior assistant of an apprentice of a junior manager - we had to put most of them on mute while laughing, because the guy had to have a one hour call every week with his reports, but unfortunately had nothing to say at all. I feel bad for him now.

That being said, not everything above applies to billable consultants, as far as I know they enjoy regular tenure-based promotions and PD isn't an issue whatsoever. So it's pretty much like two different companies.

Think more of people who enable your consultants to do their job.

Let the good times roll, somewhere else....

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthcare benefits are great, very low out of pocket costs. Decent place to start a career out of college to learn the ropes of being a professional, but not for a long term career

Cons

Work life balance is never a company priority, career progression is limited with a flat structure and mgmt culture that puts you where they want you, not where you want to be. Promotions are based on popularity not skill and merit. Pay raises are rarely more than 3-4% a year.

Care about your employees and their careers, stop following the "old boys club" rules.

There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group.

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!