Collegiate Culture with Peers but Excessive Formality with Management

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Huron and thought my peers were great. It was a collegiate atmosphere where peers helped one another out. I worked with a lot of fun, smart people.

Cons

Easily can get stuck specializing in something you're not interested in - this happened to me. I didn't want to specialize but there was a need for someone with any of this expertise. I got put in this group - expressed interest in other work - but was not given much experience outside of this specialty. Interactions with management were so formal to the point where I felt I couldn't be myself. And disagreeing with management is not taken well. Junior staff is essentially encouraged to always say 'yes' in order to nurture favoritism. This is common throughout the organization and with every MD I worked with, management seems to foster this formality. The formality also extends into promotions. It seems like you get promoted only when they have really no choice but to promote you. You have been working on a higher level for maybe a year already, even two years. You don't get promoted because management knows you can perform at the next level. Instead you are slowly, very slowly given incremental responsibilities until you are actually performing at the next level for a while. The organization was very Manager level heavy at the time I left Huron. Too many Managers and not enough seasoned Associates. As a result the promotion to Manager for an Associate becomes that much more difficult, unless you have been with Huron and within the same Group since graduating from college. They do favor internal promotions over new hires who have to 'prove' themselves.

Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

1. Stressful environment, not fulfilling.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good vacation policy.

Cons

Limited life balance, vague guidance for career development.

A unique opportunity

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary and Benefits Generous PTO Opportunity to learn the in's and out's of the healthcare industry (revenue cycle in this case) Opportunity to build consulting skills and own real client-benefit driving initiatives (even for those who are fairly new to the company) Huron allows consultants to keep all travel benefits (airline miles, hotel points, they all go to your personal accounts)

Cons

Communication, in many ways, could be better. From Vision discussions down to day-to-day strategy, many times the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

Advice to Management

Work to identify methods to improve communication between senior leadership and management, between engagements, between solution groups, and even between functional units on the same project Find a more effective way to build a meritocracy. A few extra % points on a bonus, for an exceptional year, is not a strong motivator.