Huron Consulting Group

www.huronconsultinggroup.com

Collegiate Culture with Peers but Excessive Formality with Management

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOverall, I enjoyed my experience at Huron and thought my peers were great. It was a collegiate atmosphere where peers helped one another out. I worked with a lot of fun, smart people.

ConsEasily can get stuck specializing in something you're not interested in - this happened to me.
I didn't want to specialize but there was a need for someone with any of this expertise. I got put in this group - expressed interest in other work - but was not given much experience outside of this specialty.

Interactions with management were so formal to the point where I felt I couldn't be myself. And disagreeing with management is not taken well. Junior staff is essentially encouraged to always say 'yes' in order to nurture favoritism. This is common throughout the organization and with every MD I worked with, management seems to foster this formality.

The formality also extends into promotions. It seems like you get promoted only when they have really no choice but to promote you. You have been working on a higher level for maybe a year already, even two years. You don't get promoted because management knows you can perform at the next level. Instead you are slowly, very slowly given incremental responsibilities until you are actually performing at the next level for a while.

The organization was very Manager level heavy at the time I left Huron. Too many Managers and not enough seasoned Associates. As a result the promotion to Manager for an Associate becomes that much more difficult, unless you have been with Huron and within the same Group since graduating from college. They do favor internal promotions over new hires who have to 'prove' themselves.

Let the good times roll, somewhere else....

Analyst (Former Employee) Portland, OR

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Healthcare benefits are great, very low out of pocket costs. Decent place to start a career… Cons: Work life balance is never a company priority, career progression is limited with a flat structure and mgmt culture that puts you where they want… Advice to Senior Management: Care about your employees and their careers, stop following the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

approach with caution

Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros: -great pay and benefits for entry level position Cons: -expected to work 24/7; poor work/life balance -very high turnover -quick to terminate if you are not producing results -very egotistical and elitist staff -cut throat -expected to know… Advice to Senior Management: start hiring people who actually embrace your mission and values. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Huron Consulting Group.

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!