There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group

Sounds like a great place until you start working there. Projects are boring and most mid level managers are incompetent

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young people, fun social events

Cons

Projects are boring, culture is very cliqueish, need to be in the right clique, mgmt. takes very little interest in what you may be interested in specializing in. Mid level managers are incompetent.

Advice to Management

Build an inclusive culture, try and match projects with career interests. Do something about managers who consistently get negative reviews. Its not rocket science!

Other Employee Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

1. Collegiate Culture with Peers but Excessive Formality with Management

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Huron and thought my peers were great. It was a collegiate atmosphere where peers helped one another out. I worked with a lot of fun, smart people.

Cons

Easily can get stuck specializing in something you're not interested in - this happened to me. I didn't want to specialize but there was a need for someone with any of this expertise. I got put in this group - expressed interest in other work - but was not given much experience outside of this specialty. Interactions with management were so formal to the point where I felt I couldn't be myself. And disagreeing with management is not taken well. Junior staff is essentially encouraged to always say 'yes' in order to nurture favoritism. This is common throughout the organization and with every MD I worked with, management seems to foster this formality. The formality also extends into promotions. It seems like you get promoted only when they have really no choice but to promote you. You have been working on a higher level for maybe a year already, even two years. You don't get promoted because management knows you can perform at the next level. Instead you are slowly, very slowly given incremental responsibilities until you are actually performing at the next level for a while. The organization was very Manager level heavy at the time I left Huron. Too many Managers and not enough seasoned Associates. As a result the promotion to Manager for an Associate becomes that much more difficult, unless you have been with Huron and within the same Group since graduating from college. They do favor internal promotions over new hires who have to 'prove' themselves.

2. Stressful environment, not fulfilling.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good vacation policy.

Cons

Limited life balance, vague guidance for career development.