Huron Consulting Group

www.huronconsultinggroup.com

Sounds like a great place until you start working there. Projects are boring and most mid level managers are incompetent

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Young people, fun social events

Cons

Projects are boring, culture is very cliqueish, need to be in the right clique, mgmt. takes very little interest in what you may be interested in specializing in. Mid level managers are incompetent.

Build an inclusive culture, try and match projects with career interests. Do something about managers who consistently get negative reviews. Its not rocket science!

Other reviews for Huron Consulting Group

Terrible Experience as a contract attorney

Former Employee - Contract Attorney  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Chicago, IL

Pros

Speaking solely as a contract attorney, good if you're unemployed and need temporary work

Cons

They are not flexible, office environment DISCOURAGES talking to one another or any talking for that matter. Anti social and terrible working conditions.

Collegiate Culture with Peers but Excessive Formality with Management

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Huron and thought my peers were great. It was a collegiate atmosphere where peers helped one another out. I worked with a lot of fun, smart people.

Cons

Easily can get stuck specializing in something you're not interested in - this happened to me.
    I didn't want to specialize but there was a need for someone with any of this expertise. I got put in this group - expressed interest in other work - but was not given much experience outside of this specialty.

Interactions with management were so formal to the point where I felt I couldn't be myself. And disagreeing with management is not taken well. Junior staff is essentially encouraged to always say 'yes' in order to nurture favoritism. This is common throughout the organization and with every MD I worked with, management seems to foster this formality.

The formality also extends into promotions. It seems like you get promoted only when they have really no choice but to promote you. You have been working on a higher level for maybe a year already, even two years. You don't get promoted because management knows you can perform at the next level. Instead you are slowly, very slowly given incremental responsibilities until you are actually performing at the next level for a while.

The organization was very Manager level heavy at the time I left Huron. Too many Managers and not enough seasoned Associates. As a result the promotion to Manager for an Associate becomes that much more difficult, unless you have been with Huron and within the same Group since graduating from college. They do favor internal promotions over new hires who have to 'prove' themselves.

There are newer employer reviews for Huron Consulting Group.

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!