There are newer employer reviews for Hutchinson Technology

An under-diversified company that moves at the whim of the tech industry.

Current Employee - Process Development Engineer  in  Hutchinson, MN
Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Hutchinson, MN

I have been working at Hutchinson Technology

Pros

While working at HTI I had a great relationship with my manager and supervisor. Overall I really enjoyed my experience. This being my first job the company was helpful in bringing me up to speed and supporting me through my first few difficult projects.

Cons

Technology tends to be a boom and bust market; HTI is no exception to this, in down times there is very little job security in the company and this can make everything very stressful. The company has invested a lot of money in 2 ventures recently and has been disappointed in the payback on those investments. Both product timeliness were too aggressive and the company has struggled to capitalize on their investment during this rough economic time.

Many of the life time employees had seen this type of business cycle before, this one felt worse because it coincided with the recession in the general economy but as in the past this recent bust cycle for the company seems to have hit bottom. I believe HTI is here to stay though a greater diversification in product line is needed in order to stabilize the employment cycles that the company sees.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Hutchinson Technology (View Most Recent)

A

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Hutchinson Technology

Pros

close to home. Gain experience from this job to move into a different position in the future. Pays the bills

Cons

Job is not secure. Never know when you will be let go. The industry is not stable and there are always ups and downs.

Be honest with employees and let them know what is happening when it happens. Employee moral will decline if management is not up front.

Hutchinson Technologies

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Hutchinson, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Hutchinson, MN

I worked at Hutchinson Technology

Pros

HTI excels in employee training, leadership growth, and encouraging employee empowerment. Teamwork among employees is second to none. If the business environment were better, HTI could be one of the best places to work.

Cons

The town of Hutchinson is fairly remote and the housing market is very dependent on the activities of HTI. Because of the lack of diversification, HTI experiences many ups and downs, leading to frequent hiring and layoffs.

Diversify fast. Find creative ways to avoid hiring for the business upticks and layoff during the downturns. The past layoffs were lose-lose. HTI paid out severances and for outservices, employees had to find jobs while unemployed and without benefits. With some creativity, employees could have been given the opportunity to find work while employed and HTI could have avoided severance and maintained a more positive work envirment. A win-win.

There are newer employer reviews for Hutchinson Technology

Worked for Hutchinson Technology? Contribute to the Community!