When I read these reviews I was worried, I shouldn't have been.

Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Huxley Associates

Pros

I nearly didn't turn up for the interview based on what I read here then a friend pointed out that I was judging a company that was voted as one of the best places to work in New York on an anonymous site. A site where any one individual with an axe to grind can write whatever they want.

I am glad I came along and interviewed, I think I would have missed an opportunity of a lifetime. I met nice people who were very honest about the work required and there have been no surprises so far. I met people who struggled at the beginning but then could show me pay checks for huge amounts and some of these people were pretty new.

As for the basic salary, it seems in line with the other recruitment jobs I applied for and I interviewed for many sales jobs that offered no basic at all.

The training is great and yes they have a very strict structure that they work to but it worked for me. The other people who joined around the same time seem to be also making deals. I had no recruitment background so I don't know what else to expect but I am happy.

I would say give them a try, go see what they are about and most of all make a decision based on what you feel, not what you read!

Cons

The interview process is really tough and tiring, they are very honest about what to expect in the job and so don't think that the person is trying to test you, it is really like that.
Expect to work long hours - its not that you are forced to but to be good at this job you will need to speak to candidates when they can speak to you, unfortunately that means often into the evenings and although I haven't had to yet, one of the girls had an urgent job and she came in for 3 hours on Saturday to find candidates.

I am not sure I have enough experience to offer them any kind of advice, maybe they should write some sort of official comment on here.

Other Reviews for Huxley Associates

Not a Rant Just an Honest Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Huxley Associates

Pros

- generous vacation time in first year
    - good medical benefits if you stay long enough
    - you can make a lot of money hypothetically

Cons

I'm not on here to rant about why Huxley is an awful place to work but I think its only fair to share an honest experience of a previous employer so that others know what they are getting into.

"Best Places to Work For" is a program that required companies to register and pay high fees for consideration, so you have to assume that there are a lot that do not participate, there were very few on any list that I has ever heard of, compared to rankings from Forbes etc.

Firstly, one of the two positive posts below was written by a head manager of the office, which I guess would be alright if he/she disclosed that information but they didn't. Thats fairly characteristic of Huxley, there's a lot of grey area in regards to honesty and ethics.

In the interview process they ask a number of inappropriate questions --e.g. how much student debt you have-- and basically insult your background no matter what it is, in order to see if you're "tough" enough for recruiting. Its hours long on multiple days, and there's no level of confidentiality in what you say, it will probably be shared with other people in the office. Also, you are sold on incentives and not really told what a typical day will entail. It sounds like everyone makes tons of money and wins huge prizes but really only very few people do, and a lot of it just feels like telemarketing

If you do get a job, it really is all cold-calling and data entry, 10-12 hours a day, in a nondescript office, that is micromanaged in a way that I thought was really unpleasant. Time on the phone is paramount, you will get yelled at if you're not on the phone all of the time, all information is posted daily, you're constantly ranked against others etc. Some people really enjoy that competitive environment, I do not.

I understand the importance of punctuality and hard work. You are expected to work around a minimum 10 hrs a day and to work on weekends if you want to really succeed. Thats just the truth. If you are late even a minute you get penalized with covering the phones at lunch for three days. Nobody's sympathetic. You do also have to cover the phones late twice a month until 7 but you would probably be there anyways.

Few employers have any respect for recruiters, its regarded as a sleezy, overcrowed, manipulative professional sphere. Fewer will even work with Huxley because of their business practices, spamming emails has been particularly problematic.

The environment is not professional at all beyond the attire thats required. Its a very gossip oriented, high-school like place. If you keep to yourself and don't indulge you can be fine, but its difficult to avoid.

Management will most likely be rude and condescending to you.

I met a few people that I really thought were nice but ended up making disparaging personal remarks about me after I left, which I thought was classless and unprofessional, but essentially I wasn't surprised because the office environment was the main reason I decided to leave in the first place.

Its dog eat dog, and its not about integrity, be ready for people to be sneaky, moody, and deceitful to promote their best interest.

I don't know that I have any advice to give only my own observations and some opinions, but most of what I said was purely fact. I'm not sure that elements of the office environment can be changed without fundamentally changing the type of people that work in recruiting.

Laughing stalk of the industry, and just plain annoying!

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Huxley Associates

Pros

Nice offices, Good place to learn about what you should NOT do in recruitment..

Cons

First off it’s THEFT! What you are paid compared to what competitors pay is a joke. Forget about the minimal base pay, which works out to $6.00 an hour after all the hours you end up working. Sure as in any sales job you are there to earn sales commission, but at Huxley you earn on average 15 – 20 % if you’re really lucky. The industry norm is 35 to 50%. It is all worked out for Huxley to take the maximum of your billings. Do not buy into the BS stories they tell you about how much money they have made, trust me it’s not true.

Management treats you like you are in the third grade. No eating on your desk, everyone goes to lunch at 1 pm – 2pm with no other breaks. You cannot even go to the bathroom with out being questioned. Plus they are really weird; they would make us wear Halloween costumes to work for sales competitions every month. This was mandatory and if you did not comply you would have to answer the phones during your lunch break.

You are constantly forced to hang out with your colleagues after work and they expect people who have been there longer to pay for everyone. They say this is being a role model or something?!?

This place is not a recruitment firm it’s a telemarketing / internet marketing business at best. Management are very happy when you report to them how many resumes you emailed out randomly and how many names you add to the database. They don’t really care if most people make money; they really just want you to grow the database. You are literally harassed to do data entry constantly. So when people leave senior management can benefit from what you built out.

People in the industry see Huxley as someone who constantly sends them Spam email and, most company’s refuse to work with Huxley Associates.

If you’re a good sales person you can make money anywhere, so I would skip this place and go where you are treated like an adult!

You are a JOKE! No one respects you in the office. nor do the clients you deal with. Why do you think everyone who is good leaves after a couple years!!

There are newer employer reviews for Huxley Associates.

Worked for Huxley Associates? Contribute to the Community!