There are newer employer reviews for Hy-Vee

More effort than it's worth.

I have been working at Hy-Vee

Pros

Flexible scheduling, to an extent. If you quit they'll always let you come back and work again as long as you did a good job while you were there before.

Cons

At first I thought this was an okay job because I got hired quickly and the work seemed easy, even though I was only earning minimum wage. My department managers and co-workers were all nice people willing to work with me on my schedule when I started taking college classes.

After a while I became annoyed with the hierarchy of management in my store. A few of the store managers (one in particular) are condescending and disrespectful toward employees. They stress maximizing profit to an extent that really puts me off, and stresses out overworked department managers who have never been and never will be able to bring in the numbers demanded of them. The emphasis placed upon outstanding customer service is fanatical. Multiple times I've been criticized for failing to act as though time spent at Hy-Vee fills me with the rhapsodical glow of heaven, even though I've always been polite and attentive to customers. They literally want a smile pasted on your face every second that you're there.

Hard work goes unacknowledged. Employees are forced to pay $20+ for their own work uniforms. They aren't allowed to have a beverage with them unless they're on break, and then they're made to pay 10 cents for a cup of water. The discount they give employees who want to eat dinner while they're on break is so negligible that I wonder why it's even offered. Managers get upset when an employee clocks out two minutes late, because then they have to pay the employee an extra 25 cents for the day. Employees aren't even allowed to leave the building during break.

I know people who've been employed with a competitor grocery chain in my area. The other store pays slightly better and doesn't demand as much out of its workers. Prices are comparable.

The bottom line: Hy-Vee wants everything from you but doesn't want to give anything in return. I can find an easier, better-paying job and I don't recommend working here, except maybe to a teen who needs first-time job experience.

See "Cons".

327 Other Employee Reviews for Hy-Vee (View Most Recent)

Eh

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

The flexible hours were very nice. You just needed to request time off two week beforehand. Also extra pay on Sundays.

Cons

I felt like I was going nowhere fast. There was a lot of disrespect and messing around in the front of the store.

Make the work place more fun and exciting in order to energize the employees and put a smile in every aisle.

Great part-time job

Former Employee - Night Stocker
    Former Employee - Night Stocker

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

My work atmosphere was very friendly and I had a supportive team to assist me with my project objectives. Hy-Vee is a great organization and a night stock job is the perfect "foot in the door."

Cons

No immediate downsides - many of my coworkers had additional fulltime jobs and worked 10PM-6AM at night. This made sleeping difficult, but the scheduler was sensitive to the staff's needs.

My coworkers were clean, friendly, and professional, but the store is open 24 hours and the store needs to be clean and presentable at all times - even during the stocking process. This is often difficult when stocking lots of goods and supplies.

There are newer employer reviews for Hy-Vee

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!