There are newer employer reviews for Hyatt

I felt very valued as an employee

Former Employee - Front Desk in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Front Desk in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management support, Team environment, Nice working environment. Good food for employees.

Cons

Managers work long hours for little compensation. Line employee can make more money than managers.

Advice to Management

Look at compensation for managers who are willing to work long hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Hyatt

1. Banquet Server

Current Employee - Banquet Server in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for young college kids who have a degree in Hospitality Management and don't care if the pay is low. There are good people there. Wide back hallways that make for good working areas. Good stewarding staff that supports our department. I believe the guests generally have a good experience with Hyatt. Our department manager is generally very cooperative about honoring day off requests. Our department head generally makes good decisions. It is a beautiful property.

Cons

The hotel is very stingy with employee hotel comps -- I have been able to get a comp room about one time out of ten tries for my trips over the past two and a half years. Even when there is space available, Hyatt often tries to grab an extra $120.00 or so per night. Extremely low pay for banquet servers -- compared to cities with a cost of living only 50% more like Chicago or Los Angeles, we make one-third of what they earn. The hotel keeps all the banquet tips (of the 22% service charge amounts) and lets misinformed meeting planners prohibit tip jars on banquet bars. Room Service and lobby bar employees are cheated out of tips with unfair tip-pool/wage formulas. Most employees work two or three jobs to maintain a reasonable quality of life because the pay is so low. Unlike some hotels, ours charges $1.50 for employee meals (the food is lousy to mediocre). Those of us who drive, pay $2.50 to $5.00 a day for parking -- some in our department can only afford to take the bus instead of affording a car. Roaches -- we have severe problems with roaches and back-of-the-house drains. Unlike most hotel banquet servers in the US, we have to haul and set-up various specialized banquet tables. About 50% of supervisors and managers, even upper managers, have very little on-the-job experience and/or lack common sense. Employees are often talked down to and are subject to many frivolous write-ups that are routinely rubber stamped by upper management when challenged. We are told by management that if employees discuss their dissatisfactions with their jobs among fellow staff members, that it may be considered "harassment."

Advice to Management

Stop stealing our tips. Pay us a decent wage. Hire more competent managers and supervisors.

2. Good Ol' Boy mentalitly

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with great benefits. Many of the associates were a lot of fun to deal with. Advancement possibilities are abound.

Cons

You are at the mercy of the managers above you. My F&B director is clueless to what is actually going on in his own outlets and routinely makes decisions and implements policies without sticking around to see how such things pan out. Leaving supervisors and middle management to shoulder the responsibility.

Advice to Management

Value you your middle management … Shoulder responsibility and have their backs. Work an occasional weekend or once a week stick around to see how things run during the evenings. The F&B department is particularly inept