Hyundai America Technical Center

There are newer employer reviews for Hyundai America Technical Center

Not bad, but not great

Current Employee - Engineer in Superior Township, MI
Current Employee - Engineer in Superior Township, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Friendly and Diverse Atmosphere
-Work/Life Balance
-Some Managers seem to really care about their contract employees
-Very Knowledgeable Team Members that are open to help and answer questions
-Travel Opportunities

Cons

-Poor Turnover Rate
-No concrete processes and can become mundane
-Contract employee probably won't get hired (may never get fired either)
-Korean "Thank you for your opinion, but we won't/can't implement it unless we feel like it" response to everything
-Mobis is the main supplier (owned by Hynudai) and they act on their own
-Poor communication between Hyundai Korea, Hyundai America, Mobis Korea, Mobis America, etc.
-Too much inconsistency for electrical systems, and no design is done in the US.
If you're looking for a true engineering experience for EE/EET/Comp.E/SoftwareE to implement what you've studied... I wouldn't suggest this as the best place to start. HATCI is strictly a validation center, unless you're higher up there's no real opportunity for electrical or software design.

I won't necessarily speak negatively about the US Mgt., but Korean Coordinators should learn to communicate information to decrease possible confusion and lead to very unhappy or frustrated employees. I believe the American Mgt. could be great should they receive information on time and in ENGLISH. Time is wasted on issues that are either never addressed or already addressed, but no one knows until time and energy has been wasted driving in the wrong direction. Communication is the greatest issue. While it's understood that Hyundai/Kia is a Korean company and we should respect this, please remember that American input is valuable when selling in an American Market. Stop wasting time and money on redundancy that is ineffective.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Hyundai America Technical Center (View Most Recent)

Whatever you do, don't work here, take a job at half the pay, beg on the street, anything, do not accept a job here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center

Pros

Job responsibility expectations are low.

Cons

Everything else. Contract employees are taken advantage of. Pay and benefits are far below industry average and opportunities for change or promotion are nil. To survive here one just has to say "yes sir" and tolerate the slow pace. It's great for someone that is extremely patient and can tiptoe through the Korean cultural standards for years on end. However, it's like a mine field, and one can only tiptoe so long until our Americaness comes out to undermine our efforts toward advancement.

Stop screwing over contract employees!

"My way or the highway".

Current Employee - Engineer in Chino, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chino, CA

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center

Pros

My job, although not a perfect situation, at least keeps me very busy with technical issues that I was hired to do. This absorbs me in a good way and don't try to think of all of the Korean culture BS. The good thing is that most of the American staff is congenial and understands how you feel.

Cons

The prevailing Korean culture that is best describes as "Daddy knows best". or "My way or the highway". Some of the downsides of working at Hyundai America Technical Center is that your opinion doesn't really matter - even if you have years and years of experience in the industry.

Let the Americans help you run the show like Toyota. The Koreans have no clue about the American car market and related businesses and customer demands.

There are newer employer reviews for Hyundai America Technical Center