IAC

Decent, Well-Paying Gig, but Best for the Self-Directed

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC

Pros

IAC is an innovative place that feels more like a startup. If you have an idea for trying something new, people really do listen. This is a place for someone who is self-directed and doesn't need much hand-holding. The salary and benefits are quite good, and most of the people who work for the company are smart.

Cons

You may not need much hand-holding, but you would still like a little attention. Knowledge sharing is minimal. If you are fine with doing your own thing, you will thrive. I have a good supervisor, and I'm with a good team, so I get regular feedback. I consider myself lucky because that hasn't been the case for others I know. You really have to work hard to build relationships--if that isn't easy for you, then don't work for IAC. You may also catch some static when you work with other teams. Since the work environment is not as cohesive as it is in other places, it all depends on how that team is run.

While the benefits are good, HR seems unusually disorganized (note "most of the people" comment above). I've worked for large companies, and they need to make sure they deliver on all the benefits they offer. Sometimes, it is just a matter HR not processing paperwork. When dealing with IAC's HR, it pays to be aggressive. I haven't had issues precisely because I knew going in that I needed to be direct with HR, but some people have had trouble. However, HR in NY is aware of their problems and is making changes.

Senior management seems talented; however, they are easily distracted and spread themselves too thin regarding projects. With a little more focus, the results could be phenomenal. That statement reflects my review of Mr. Diller.

109 Other Employee Reviews for IAC (View Most Recent)

a small company with not much growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at IAC

Pros

relatively small company. It is easy to be involved in various projects. Colleagues are easy to work with.

Cons

no more growth. Talents are leaving.

don't know what to so. The company focuses on a field that needs a lot of talent. Unfortunately, it cannot attract many now a days.

Fragmented company with poor senior management; Good opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ad Sales in New York, NY

I worked at IAC

Pros

IAC owns some of the internet's top brand name websites, and being an internet company, employees have access to the best technological resources. Even though IAC is a large company, it feels like a small start-up with excellent benefits. The opportunity for growth is very good and salaries are decent. There is also opportunity to move between brands.

Cons

IAC is run like a stock portfolio (i.e. brands moves freely in and out). On an operational level this makes it difficult to share resources among the brands and hinders free flowing communication. Ultimately, the inability to gain economies of scale hurts their bottom line. Since the brands are run separately, employees’ experiences vary widely from division to division. From an ad sales perspective, the sites are transactional and lack editorial content, which makes attracting brand advertisers difficult. Senior management lacks vision and the ability to communicate their goals and objectives clearly. In addition, senior management changes their strategy dramatically from quarter-to-quarter. Frequent reorganizations create high turnover and further contribute to the lack of clear goals.

Define a clear direction for the company and make a permanent investment in your brands.

There are newer employer reviews for IAC