IATA

www.iata.org

IATA looks great on the outside and that is just about it!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsIt is true that the opportunity to interact with many different cultures and people is what attracted me to work for IATA. When I studied Tourism IATA was glorified as the place to be so I jumped at the chance to get in.

ConsThings were great at first and then they turned sour. If you left at 5:00 p.m. you were not a team player. If you took your lunch you were not a team player. If you are a female and you get pregnant - watch out because if you have a family your bosses get upset because they see having a family results in your focus will be redirected from your work.

The values that IATA praise themselves on were just that - words because IATA does not put ANY of those values into practice. They throw around that they are non profit and that they should cut costs but then they host a breakfast and order $2,000 in muffins and coffee (I processed that invoice). They have their staff travel in Economy and then then the VP is on the same flight in Executive class, what an example.

At one point they were soliciting West Jet to join their ranks but they refused, no wonder there why!

The A, B and C rating system is also the biggest crap I have ever seen. You work and give more than 110% only to be told that there is only the budget to give three people on your floor a raise so you won't qualify. When you complain they throw the non profit in your face again and also tell you that if you don't like it you can leave because no one is putting a gun to your head to stay.

My job was abolished and towards the end they played games with me on paying my severance package... they knew and I knew that they would have no "other" job for me but they put on the stall tactics every time I inquired about my "position" or "package". Every time I had a meeting to meet with them it would be canceled at the last minute.

I worked in SO&I and I disagree that there is no stress there. You have the so called VP walking around reigning terror to everyone who does not bow down to him. This so called VP does not know anything about SO&I unless he gets a brief and even then he looks foolish. He could not get out of it when they had a Security Forum in Asia. When he started being asked questions he should know and he didn't he blasted his team later about not being briefed regardless of the fact that what he was asking was things he should know!

You are also threatened with your job if things aren't done at ridiculous deadlines. usually last minute of course. Since his last "Assistant" (and I use that word loosely because she did not know anything) left (and why she left is another questionable issue because with all the administrative assistants being abolished her slave army of people who were doing all her work would be gone) no one works for him for more than a few months.

This VP has no social skills he is a barbarian. He tried to get out and move to Austrian airlines and they would not even take him because they know who he is. I stood up to him and that is why I was abolished because I was "too opinionated" - I left with my dignity in tact because he did not intimidate me.

I met great people and I am in touch with many today. The organization right now is full of bad apples and unfortunately they sit at the top.

Right now I am at an organization that appreciates me, rewards me and I am valued. It took awhile to get used to that because after all the crap I went through at IATA I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop negatively.

I must say that IATA's benefits were outstanding even though it was scaled down when I left. The pension plan is also decent but that is another issue because many staff are kicked out when they were close to retirement because they were seen as expensive to maintain. What was that main value again IATA goes on and on about? Oh yah, WE PUT PEOPLE FIRST.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what the company preaches! The "iATA" values would be a great start!

IATA - Don't go there now, but wait until after the smoke and mirrors disappear in a few years.

Manager (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at IATA

Pros: One of the most attractive draws to IATA is the nature of the association - you will interact with people from all over the world.… Cons: There is a ridiculous focus on driving excessive revenues and meeting outrageous revenue targets, which increase year-over-year across-the-board (arbitrary X% increase, maybe?), despite the substantial… Advice to Senior Management: IATA is micro-managed by three guys at the top. They focus too much on GE and Jack Welch, and Managers are forced into pidgeon-holing staff… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great colleagues, detached leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at IATA

Pros: Some of the finest people in the aviation industry work in this organization. It's a unique chance to work with people from various countries… Cons: IATA is a highly political organization wanting to be a lobby for world airlines and a profitable company at the same time. Goals were set… Advice to Senior Management: Reform Human Resource policies, begin looking more within the organisation for professional advancement. It does happen, but too rarely. Many of my colleagues and myself… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on IATA.

Worked for IATA? Contribute to the Community!