There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to develop, though compensation isnt' competitive.

Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy  in  Somers, NY
Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in Somers, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Solid, stable place to start a career. You can grow as fast as you drive yourself... but motivation must be internally driven.

Experience will widely vary by which division that you land in. Services businesses typically place a large emphasis on number of billable hours worked. Systems division is always trying to run a more lean business and do more with less. Software is not uniform as a number of current employees were brought on through numerous acquisitions over the last 5-10 years.

Cons

Salary is not competitive with market rates if you stay more than a few years. Constant revamping of employee benefit programs makes you wonder if HR has anything better to do.

Compensate your top, young talent!

11573 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

IBM, world leaders in Information Technology and Systems but mediocre in employee relations.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The technology. Working on leading edge technology and inventing new processes and products that are the best in the world is fun.

Cons

High stress. New technologies have a lot of problems that need to be solved and it seems we are always under pressure to fix them immediately. Every year our portion of health benefits increases, our pension or retirement plan diminishes and the pay raises do not keep up with the costs.

We are adults. Tell us the truth in plain English so we fully understand the business envirnment and where we are heading.

Good place to work if you like large companies

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Job flexibility, ability to work at home, set my own hours. Management cares about the work being done, not the when and where. We enjoy a lot of flexibility, which really helps with work life balance. It is okay to spend time during the day doing something at the kid's school as long as the work is made up in the evenings or weekends.

Cons

Too large, hard to make a difference, hard to change things. The structure and size is at times overwhelming...it can take days to find the right contact for a simple question, and one hand rarely know what the other is doing, leading to a lot of duplication of effort, and conflict.

IBM needs to start appreciating their workforce, and reflecting it in our compensation. Most IBMers I know work very hard and are very dedicated, but the companies appreciation is shown in minimal increases, definitely not enough to keep up with inflation.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!