Great place to work

Current Employee - Server Support in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Server Support in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The atmosphere and coworkers were phenominal. Had a Great time here, a nice work pace as well without too much drama.

Cons

At times there could be very little work to be done. This was not a failure of work to be done, but a failure from upper level management to approve said work.

Advice to Management

It does take quite a while to gain approval or permission to get some simple things done. Also there needs to be more communication between departsments to keep tools and equipment in assigned places.

reviews filtered by

Get some experience then move on

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Good benefits package (4 weeks of vacation to start, basic health care and dental for employee paid, 5% full match on 401K after 1 year)
    Reasonably laid back work environment
    IBM looks good on my resume

Cons

Communication to me from my manager is really lacking.
    I came to the company with 4 years of IT experience and was made to take an entry level job with a salary in the low 30s. Several other people with less experience that have come in after me are making more than I am to start.
    The management on our team is so disconnected there are 3-4 people that literally do almost nothing all day, every day while several of us run like crazy to get things done.
    IBM is not in a "promotion or raise mode" at the moment so I'm doing work that is in a higher band but not being paid for it. This has gone on in this position for many months.

Advice to Management

If there is no opportunity for serious raises and promotions for an employee with good performance reviews after almost two years why would I stick around?

Micro managed by Shareholders, Extremly Virtual, too big to fail.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Good brand to keep you afloat in bad economy. Not sure IBMer meanes anything with 400K emplyees.

Cons

Its a Jungle inside. everything is virtual. Like a website.
    Partners are Gods. very unapproachable.
    100% of GBS is travel based. travel/expense policy sucks. IBMers have lost thier class. Sole aim make wealthy share holder happy.
    With 95% utilization requirement, only thing you can take is 3 days and federal/state holidays.
    extremely limited salary increase. Promotion means nothing with limited salary increase.

Advice to Management

Shareholders will not stop at another 100$ in stock value. Ibmers are falling apart with all the pressure from utilization, expense, limited salary growth, suck it all up attitude. IBM needs to invest time and resources in it real stake holders thats the employees.