There are newer employer reviews for IBM

A waste of time

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bratislava (Slovakia)
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Bratislava (Slovakia)

I worked at IBM

Pros

Young & dynamic team
Old renowned company to put on your resume

Cons

Low chances of promotion
Work-life balance is not respected - there is no personal life
Biased decisions on evaluating employees
Almost no employee benefits
HR false marketing (promises that to not become true after employment)

Think more about your employees as they are not only numbers on your list of bar codes.

11907 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

If you have no family and want to travel then it works for you.

Former Employee - IT Specialist
    Former Employee - IT Specialist

I worked at IBM

Pros

Compensation was appropriate for the position. Follow IBM procedures and processes and expenses are paided as reported in a timely fashion. If one so chooses you are climb the corporate ladder.

Cons

Having a home life the travelling got old fast especially when you were not compensated for any of the travel time unless you work. IBM uses total hours worked 'ulitization' percent as part of performance evaluation. If you fall below utilization target, you pay the price at performance review time. You surpass your utilization target and nothing too the good comes of it. Constant battle between those watching expenses at client site and yourself to be able to work the 'average' number of hours needed per week to meet your utilization target. Once you complete an assignment at client, IBM provides you with tools to find a new assignment bu you must find your own assignment. IBM assigns a 'resource development manager' (RDM) who is suppose to help you find a new assignment. Have consistently heard that RDM's are worthless and provide little actual support (that was the case for me). I found a new assignment and was at client site 1 day when I was informed by IBM that I was identified as a 'resource action' as part of their annual purge process and to be laid off in 30 days. No reason given as to how or why I was chosen.

IBM does not address the 'human cost' factor in its business model

Strength the IBM Marketplace process by making the RDM more accountable in terms of supplying help for those looking for new assignments. Make those people that one sends marketplace inquiries to responsible by requiring that they atleast acknowledge that they received your inquiry. I sent out 5 - 6 inquiries about open positions and hear not a word from anyone of them.

Flexible but not enough intermediate position levels for easy advancement

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Large and global company
    Access to many resources, such as online courses, people
    Training is a priority
    Flexible work hours

Cons

Few intermediate levels which makes it hard for senior employees doing a good job to see their advancement within the company.

Should set up more intermediate position levels between managerial and senior levels for those who do not have a desire to enter a leadership role but who are strong contributors to the company nonetheless.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM