IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Can be good

Current Employee - Project Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Project Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at IBM

Pros

work is challenging, people are nice to work with, many groups to interact with, salary is good, training can be good at times,

Cons

can be long hours, not much in the way of recognition, no seasonal parties, focus on process sometimes too much

12359 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Frustrating - So much potential squandered by living quarter to quarter instead of long term

Current Employee - GBS Consultant
    Current Employee - GBS Consultant

I have been working at IBM

Pros

There are a lot of different roles you can find yourself in, which can be good from a career perspective. Often times you are thrown into the mix of something else if you are competent in your current duties and can be counted on, which can broaden your horizons and perhaps you'll find a niche you really enjoy.

Some great people that work in IBM and when you get to interact with them (when IBM's internal boxes/walls don't keep you from working together) they can really be fantastic.

Cons

You're a cog. They'll run you at 125-175% until you burn out. Work-life balance is non existent*.
    Related to the above, there's since everyone is running around like crazy, or they're fired, there's no surplus capacity. So when more work comes down the chute - guess what? No one else will be hired on to do it, so carve some more space into your evening's and weekends.

Company tools are God awful. Such a mish-mash of different interfaces from different acquisitions and they're are almost all terrible. The funny thing is, we make fine products/services for our customers, and have tin cans and string for all our internal processes.

Boy do we love our process. Just a maze of process. If you're lucky, you'll have someone who can help you navigate it, but it can be crushing at times.

Management. There are some really good managers in IBM, but there's also a lot of bad ones (especially in Exec positions). Seems like for every one "worker bee", there's a manager and 10 executives. Can be nuts.*

* - Probably depends on your pay band, job, section of the company, etc

Realize that you cannot continue to put this pressure on the work force indefinitely. There are very motivated people who are finally starting to burn out/crack and it is unfortunate.

Please realize that there will have to be some investment in the employees (I've seen recently where some motivated/creative managers have been able to get some training for employees) is necessary both for providing a quality product to the customer and for retention purposes.

There has got to be a way to get feedback up to upper levels. Right now, there is a total disconnect between lower-to-mid levels, and upper management.

Something has to be done about the internal firewalls between the various divisions of IBM ("blue dollars") as it causes us to waste so much time and energy while not putting the best product out.

Proud to have been an employee

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Diversity - in a nutshell.

Cons

Opportunities to explore other careet areas within the company not a focus

Open door policy and encouragement to explore different opportunities within the company, so as not to lose the 'brain trust'

There are newer employer reviews for IBM