There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Very challenging job, requiring more work to be performed many evenings and into the weekends

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Enjoy working with people who have a passion for the jobs they perform. Most IBMers are very knowledgeable in their areas of expertise and will help you wherever possible.

Cons

As in most companies, I believe we are working far longer hours then ever before. If you are an exempt employee, your hourly rate drops significantly due to the excessive nights and weekends worked. As much as you earn, when you look at an hourly rate, it's not always that impressive.

Advice to Management

Seems like even in the best of times, IBM still does not offer much of a bonus or salary increase plan. Even as a top performer, you're lucky if your increase is 1-1.5%. I find this no way to retain top performers and talent. IBM seems to be moving towards a company that hires top talent, but that these people will only stay for 5 years. There is far more churn in attrition than ever before.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Very laid back culture, people are down to earth. Very flexible work force. Management usually is very supportive except in crunch time. You get a lot of recognition for being an IBMer

Cons

During crunch time they take it to an unbelievable extent. Management is terrible at listening to employees. The communication channels break down rapidly in some key areas within the organization. Instead of making progress, we regress backwards.

Advice to Management

Upper management need to make a 1-on-1 effort to reach out to the down below folks. There is a lot of penalty in open doors so folks are afraid to raise any concerns.

2. A good place to work if you have kids.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I work from Home
    Flexible Work Schedule
    Self Deirected

Cons

Little opportunity for movement around the company
    Little opportunity for advancement