There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to work, except for the short sightedness of management

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Flexibility to work at home or traditional office and have more flexible hours. The possibilities are amazing ad there is so much that can be learned.

Cons

I seem to always to be on call. While I am senior at my work, I sometimes feel junior in what I am doing.

Management is too focused on the stock market, making money on consulting and tightening the rules while moving jobs to India to fatten the bottom line. Meanwhile, IBM is slow to adopt new technologies or has bloatware that few people are trained on.

11617 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Working at IBM has its advantages.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM issues laptops to all of their employees and depending on your manager this makes working remotely fairly easy to do. When it comes to HR related tasks IBM seems to trust their employees and their managers as vacation/sick time is not centrally tracked.

Cons

IBM is an extremely large company and as such sometimes suffers from its size. Because of its large size the company has implemented many process/requirements that cause inefficiencies in day to day work. Compensation and pay are awarded based on a pool system that is sub-divided as you move down the organization which results in limited flexibility for managers to reward top performing employees. Additionally as the company is spread across the globe you may be working with people who you've never met face to face for years.

Stop trying to be 'equivalent' to other companies in the field with regards to compensation/benefits. Instead focus on providing compensation/benefits that maximize productivity.

Great, stable employment

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Very stable company to work for with great career opportunities. Excellent for work/life balance. The pay is very competitive, however we are losing ground lately to inflation and insurance costs.

Cons

Sometimes executives make knee-jerk decisions instead of looking long term. Sometimes, it is difficult to wade through the beaurocracy, but usually is is not a hinderance.

Stop cutting jobs for the near-term bottom line. Have faith in your employees and look more towards the future.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!