IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

IBM is a company I would recommend to others.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at IBM

Pros

Within the organizations I supported and worked, I was constantly surrounded by educated professionals. Most companies have several "dead weight" employees; however I did not see many of these individuals in IBM. It seemed that most made a fair attempt to carry their weight and contribute to the team. In addition, those that were labeled as being unproductive were either encouraged to increase performance or they were part of the regular resource actions (layoffs). Thus, by having competent workers surrounding you, the overwhelming work load seemed a bit lighter... a bit.

Secondly, general management does care about employee work-life balance. If anyone tries to tell you that IBM pressured them into compromising family life in favor of work schedule, question their motives. Of course, the executive work load is much greater than lower-level, and they at times, have work-life balance issues - but are well compensated for it.

Cons

In some organizations, there is a tendancy to 'stay the course' among lower-level employees. New initiatives and strategic changes were seen as temporary 'fire-drills' that would go away if ignored long enough. This type of attitude enables poor response to competition in the market and a general disalusion from sales and BPs as the the consideration IBM gives to their cause. When a new executive is appointed to make changes within an organization, those changes come slowly, or not at all.

Furthermore, an employee looking to distinguish his/herself from the pack needs to seriously network. There is no 'automatic' climb to the top with hard work... even if you immediate management recognizes your talents. You MUST reach beyond your organization and network, network, network.

Finally, with layoffs the workload does not diminish, but is reassigned. There was a period of 2 years as my 'expected actions' rose 400% due to assuming others' work as they were let go.

Stay the course, only faster. Question success and pay closer attention to areas of failure. Rely less on Business Partner strengths and focus more on how to increase their capabilities.

12359 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

It's so so

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Athletics, working remotely, it pays money

Cons

Lack of security, management, pay, lack of reasonable raises (the kind that keeps up with inflation at the very least), layoffs, working more for the share holder and less for the company, CEO that makes too much

Pay CEO's and execs less, 25 million in total compensation is not reasonable for somebody that does very little actual work. Also, spend less time satisfiying the share holder such as laying off people to make numbers when investing in the companies future by making better products etc will equal long term company success, not the short term they are worried about.

Overall, good place to work

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The benefits are good, and the work/life balance offerings are very strong as well.

Cons

It's a big company and with that, there is a slow bureaucracy.

I would say that the overall strategy for the company is strong. It's hard for employees to give feedback to a company when a publicly-traded company is more likely to listen to investors rather than employees. But I think any company that invests in talented employees will do well for itself. IBM could do a better job of not promoting such a workaholic culture, but, that's also a byproduct of the type of people that work here.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM