IBM
3.2 of 5 10,976 reviews
www.ibm.com Armonk, NY 5000+ Employees

Great company to work for, although not for an extended period of time.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsLots of opportunity to get involved with new initiatives and tasks and develop portable skills. Lots of intelligent managers with valuable experience. Excellent top-notch benefits (401k and health insurance arguably the best, as well as free financial adviser). IBM name commands respect on your resume. Flexible work schedules.

ConsAnnual raises are poor whereas new-hire starting salaries are superb. It's highly likely that new-hires will start the year after you, or 2 years after you, with higher, or very similar salaries to yours, including your raises--even if you get outstanding performance reviews year after year. It seems there is more effort spent on acquiring new talent versus keeping and rewarding existing talent. This discourages existing talent from staying for any length of time, or continuing to strive for excellence year after year. An excellent performance review doesn't mean anything if it isn't backed up with financial reward. It just helps my resume look more attractive to recruiters elsewhere.

Also the company laptop situation is poor. On starting day you receive a used, refurbished laptop which is supposed to last you 4 years. That would be fine if you weren't also forced to use it for such basic things like checking email and billing hours--why can't I do these things on my own laptop/tablet/smartphone? Especially if I'm not dealing with classified or SBU materials. Lotus Notes is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward existing talent with not just a bonus, but a competitive raise. Senior Consultants with several years of outstanding performance should not be paid the same as new college hire Consultants.

The work environment and projects can either be very satisfying or extremely tedious and boring

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Hartford, CT

I have been working at IBM

Pros: Collaboration and very bright peers. Tremendous learning opportunities and… Cons: poor transition to other projects, can get lost in the… Advice to Senior Management: more administrative support and better transition to projects when you… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

The Rochester COE is a Black Hole.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM

Pros: 1. Benefits - pretty decent, health and dental insurance you can get for free if you sign up for the basic plan. 401k… Cons: 1. Compensation - Starting salary is 40k with a sign-on bonus of $1,500.. Not bad for a recent college grad just starting out,… Advice to Senior Management: The cheapest workers are rarely the best workers. I'm sure Sammy… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.