There are newer employer reviews for IBM

I don't see a long term future for US-based staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I have been able to travel and meet people from all over the world. IBM can look very good on your resume, depending on your job role. IBM is very big on the work at home program, and I have not been into the local IBM office in several years (I usually only end up at an IBM site when I am traveling on business).

Cons

I was acquired by IBM in 2002. I have changed managers on average once per year since then and have only ever met two of my managers while I was working for them (I met two others after they were no longer my manager). I normally have to explain to my new manager what I actually do, and they develop their own perceptions based on what the previous manager told them I do... it's kinda like the telephone game, the 2002 manager describes to the 2003 manager what I do, the 2003 manager describes it to the 2004 manager, etc. and they end up with some vague idea of SOME of what you actually do. In the US, there is very little training given, as they seem to be investing heavily in training the "global" resources. The former CEO made a statement at the beginning of 2012 that US workers are not willing to learn anything new so they have had to turn to global resources. There are many IBMers in the US willing and eager to learn, but there is only so much you can do with free computer based training and little investment in classroom training.
When taking vacations or going on extended assignments, it is your responsibility to find someone else to cover your duties and responsibilities (which is hard if you are the only person on your team who does what you do). It is usually easier for me to just stay "on-call" while on vacation, rather than call in favors to get someone to cover my work and then spend a week catching them up to speed on the multiple projects I am juggling.

Advice to Management

Morale is dangerously low within IBM US. The majority of people I know, when asked one on one, are looking for other jobs, or they are close enough to retirement that they are sticking it out in hopes that they can make it to retirement prior to being let go. Most of us do not see a future for the US worker based on the 2015 roadmap and IBM's aggressive layoffs in the US, while hiring like crazy in AP (India, Philippines, etc.)

reviews filtered by

IBM used to be great place to work, but not anymore.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

big company with many divisions. tend to be relatively more stable than other high tech companies.

Cons

company is outsourcing everything, employee morale very low.

2. Professinal company with lots of smart people. Low overall pay

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Incredible people, availability of technical and services resources, always protects the customer, willing to provide time off when personal matters come up, opportunities to move to another job

Cons

Pay is often capped and there is little to no participation in those decisions, Overabunance of paperwork and process that keeps sales reps away from their customers, no real ability to rapidly remove poor performers or bring on required talent

Advice to Management

Senior Mgt needs to allow their First Line Mgrs to make decisions on hiring and firing faster, as well as compensating successful sales reps.