There are newer employer reviews for IBM

I don't see a long term future for US-based staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I have been able to travel and meet people from all over the world. IBM can look very good on your resume, depending on your job role. IBM is very big on the work at home program, and I have not been into the local IBM office in several years (I usually only end up at an IBM site when I am traveling on business).

Cons

I was acquired by IBM in 2002. I have changed managers on average once per year since then and have only ever met two of my managers while I was working for them (I met two others after they were no longer my manager). I normally have to explain to my new manager what I actually do, and they develop their own perceptions based on what the previous manager told them I do... it's kinda like the telephone game, the 2002 manager describes to the 2003 manager what I do, the 2003 manager describes it to the 2004 manager, etc. and they end up with some vague idea of SOME of what you actually do. In the US, there is very little training given, as they seem to be investing heavily in training the "global" resources. The former CEO made a statement at the beginning of 2012 that US workers are not willing to learn anything new so they have had to turn to global resources. There are many IBMers in the US willing and eager to learn, but there is only so much you can do with free computer based training and little investment in classroom training.
When taking vacations or going on extended assignments, it is your responsibility to find someone else to cover your duties and responsibilities (which is hard if you are the only person on your team who does what you do). It is usually easier for me to just stay "on-call" while on vacation, rather than call in favors to get someone to cover my work and then spend a week catching them up to speed on the multiple projects I am juggling.

Morale is dangerously low within IBM US. The majority of people I know, when asked one on one, are looking for other jobs, or they are close enough to retirement that they are sticking it out in hopes that they can make it to retirement prior to being let go. Most of us do not see a future for the US worker based on the 2015 roadmap and IBM's aggressive layoffs in the US, while hiring like crazy in AP (India, Philippines, etc.)

11617 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

IBM used to be great place to work, but not anymore.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

big company with many divisions. tend to be relatively more stable than other high tech companies.

Cons

company is outsourcing everything, employee morale very low.

Good in the past, steady decline in the last decade

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Chance to work with world class technology.
    Vacation holiday and personal time flexibility.
    Health benefits seem to be pretty good.

Cons

Erosion of support functions, leads to extra work just to keep your work environment going. Workstation support is one, admin support is another.
    Recurring layoffs keeps you on edge.

Not sure what advice I could offer. Leadership at IBM is driven by shareholders, and apparently some large shareholders exert a lot of pressure on IBM execs with regard to earnings per share, share buybacks, dividends, acquisitions, "productivity" -- which is tied to human resource costs, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!