There are newer employer reviews for IBM

IBM is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Culture of innovation. The 800 pound gorilla. Progressive and multicultural work environment. Morale is good, and compensation is competitive.

Cons

IBM == "I'm By Myself". Working remotely all the time can at times be alienating.

Trust us with more information

reviews filtered by

IBM is an International, not US, corporation.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Relaxed dress code. Flexible work hours.

Cons

IBM has no concern for the US of A. Slimy management. Continual lay-offs (resource actions). IBM management has decided to move away from the American worker in favor of the Indian and Chinese worker even at the expense of the American economy and national security. Overall, it is not possible to feel good about supporting such an anti-American company. Their lies and deceit to American workers have shattered many dreams. IBM puts Americans in the unemployment line by the thousands and unethically tries to hide what they are doing.

I don't senior management for taking jobs away from the United States to India. It is how you are doing it that is abhorrent. Stop ltrying to make employees feel like they have any real prospects of a long-term job. Come clean on the numbers and plans. Just admit that the current international economic situation dictates moving most of the jobs to India. Tell us just what your goal is in terms of number of employees per country and job site. When you decided that 80% of the American jobs were going to be heading overseas you should have told us and laid out the time-lines. It is very dirty how you are trying to secretly do this. We all see what is going on and it is a slap in the face that you won't just give us the hard facts.

A Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great Benefits and they are very flexible with your schedule in regards to work location. Most managers are competent and take time coaching newer members of their teams. They do give you opportunities to work on other initiatives within IBM. For example, I have been able to help out with college recruiting.In addition, it is a fairly young company, in my experience at least. My first project was a good 30% people under 30 which makes the working environment that much more enjoyable and easy going. They hire very ambitious young employees too; adding to the fast paced work environment.

Cons

They do not reward business development for people at my level, i.e. 1-3 years experience. The pay for the new hires is great for the industry, but I came in before they raised the rates so I am playing some serious catch up to personnel 1 and 2 years younger than me. When you are a new hire you have to get on a long term project. Otherwise every time you switch to a new project you will be considered the new hire and be forced into doing mundane tasks for people even though you had already earned your stripes on a previous project you have to do it again.

Depends on your project. My first one was incompetent but the past two have been great. So its luck of the draw

There are newer employer reviews for IBM