I like the flexibility.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

Job flexibility, good compensation, friendly environment, good benefits and vacation days, unlimited sick leave, good short term disability plan and good opportunity to move within IBM.

Cons

If you work remotely then you have an disadvantage. You can't move up the chain very easily. Working with global teams require off hours meetings,etc.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

You are a salesman, and a peon at that

Current Employee - Software IT Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software IT Architect in Dallas, TX

Pros

IBM has a great reputation and good products. We have some autonomy to do what the customer needs. If you do a good job, your sales people will come to you and take your advice.

Cons

Do NOT believe that you will be able to grow your career easily. The field technical team is treated like peons who have no expertise and there is little ability to show your expertise to the brand or other managers. As a result, you are stuck. Furthermore, we are expected to be (as one colleague puts it) a mile wide and a millimeter deep. We've become"demo monkeys" who have to follow the script. Most of us don't know what/how to handle off script questions because we can't specialize in one pert of the portfolio and we get no real training opportunities.

Advice to Management

Grow the tech teams so that people can specialize. Encourage the field to become experts and then use that expertise to influence the products.

2. Overall, IBM is a very positive place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The best part of working at IBM is that you can move to different roles without losing salary.

Cons

IBM can be very bureaucratic, and you end up spending a lot of time coordinating with other IBM'ers, instead of talking to clients.