IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

A great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Burlington, VT
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I like the flextime scheduling. I can come into work at any time of the day usually as long as I get my 40+ hours in the week. I also love the location. Vermont is a beautiful state with great schools and many outdoor activities.

Cons

They just cut the funding for continuing education (their ALAP program). So there is no opportunity to go back to school part time.

Bring back ALAP to invest in the employees and the future of the compay.

12149 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Intellectually stimulating work environment, but can be difficult to navigate

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

- Smart and dedicated co-workers
    - Wide range of options for career progression
    - Work-life balance
    - Strong senior leadership

Cons

- Compensation possibly below market. Stock options/grants rarely given. Negligible discount in employee stock purchase plan.
    - Can be difficult to navigate
    - Promotions can be slow -- partially related to the fact that there is a lot of good talent.
    - There seems to be a process for everything -- can get in the way of progress
    - Constant re-organizations

Don't be afraid to take calculated risks.

IT is becoming a commodity and it's affecting how IBM views its employees.

Current Employee - IT Architect in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IBM

Pros

In IBM, you do have access to a large intellectual capital knowledge base and the people you work with are very smart. If you manage to move from account to account, it allows you to see how many different companies work without the stress of having to find work on your own. The higher you go up in the organization, though, you are expected to be a mercenary and find the work on your own. You don't get the big bucks for nothing.

Cons

There is a constant pressure for cost savings. In the US, labor makes up the biggest cost component and IBM has had a policy of micro-layoffs to stay under the public radar. This occurs at the expense of employee morale and in some cases, customer satisfaction. With the increased reliance on off-shoring to lower cost regions, US layoffs are going to accelerate. On top of this, training is almost non-existent. It's hard to justify 40 hours of training when you have a utilization target.

The message the IBM work force is not very positive. We're not as valued as we used to be, as evidenced by our PBC reviews, lack of salary increases, and constant layoffs. But, it's hard to argue with success and as long as we keep posting records profits and revenues, it's not going to change.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM