There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Not a demanding job, but has its headaches

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Lots of opportunities for doing completely different work
Great flexibility -- in where and when work is done, allows easy work/life balance
Supportive direct management
Great tools to get work done remotely
Decent salary, benefits and bonuses
Good recognition for high achievers in the right part of the business.

Cons

Clueless senior management
Too much deadwood in employees and management
No clear direction for the future
Big raises are no longer available
Can get stuck in poor performing businesses and be at risk for losing job through no fault of your own

Advice to Management

Need a vision of what IBM can truly do that will make money (rather than just cut cost to meet profit goals)
Way too many executives
Offshoring is getting to a critical point where we are hurting customers with lack of skills

reviews filtered by
  1. Not perfect, but a good solid choice of company.

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM is a large corporation and provides a great work life balance. 40% of workforce is nontraditional office or work at home. They are still hiring a few people in the US. IBM fosters innovation, its not just a corporate phrase. World wide opportunities. Its a company which there is a world of things to do and chances to make a difference. They pay me well. They pay high performers more than average due to bonuses. Anyone with above average IT skills will stand head and shoulders above most at IBM, so its easy to kick butt and stand out among the crowd.

Cons

Large Corporation which means much complexity in getting anything done. Lotus Notes and its ilk.

Advice to Management

Make the right decisions for IBM not your group. The distributed funding model is killing the economy of scale.

Great Place to do research

Former Employee - Graduate Research Intern in Hawthorne, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Intern in Hawthorne, NY

I worked at IBM

Pros

Great Research Environment. Great people to work with, and great managers. The research teams all have top-rate researchers, and the managers all seem to know how to run their groups efficiently. I've never worked anywhere where people meet their software development deadlines like clockwork. The work-life balance is pretty good there too - I was in to work on a few weekends and I don't think I saw anyone else in the office.

Cons

It may be slightly bureaucratic for silicon valley types used to a start-up culture. Moving up in the company (as well as the financial rewards that come with it) seems to take time.

Advice to Management

The company is doing well, but they need to find ways to combat the image that Google is a far superior place to work (I don't think it's true, but that's the perception of many new grads)