IBM

www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Way too much internal processes, procedures, business controls, audits, private interests ...

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Sofia (Bulgaria)
Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+ Great team and internal cooperation

Cons

- Management did not keep their promises
- Management betrays trust
- Zero attention of how the staff feels, if there are problems HR dept. can only record it - but not react to it
- Almost no salary increase and promotion in the last 3 years
- No recognition from management side
- HUGE amount of internal processes, procedures, regulations, business controls reviews, audits. In the same time country & above country management expects the numbers to be delivered regardless of the excessive administrative overhead
- HUGE above country structure with a lot of people overlapping their roles and responsibilities
- Interests of the company are not defended - all possible transactions are pushed through "Business Partners", direct business is deeply unwanted and all local management is avoiding it
- And many more ... but those were the most important topics that irritated me.

Resign ASAP and let this company move forward

12766 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

A Good Company

Former Employee - Sales in Petah Tikva (Israel)
    Former Employee - Sales in Petah Tikva (Israel)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Salary
    Free Lunch
    Beautiful environment for employees- Outside there is a park
    The employers are professional and talented people

Cons

Workers alienated towards each other

Workers alienated towards each other, it's a good idea to do a group activities that could make a more pleasant work environment

Cumbersome behemoth, lumbered down with red tape

Former Employee - Information Developer
    Former Employee - Information Developer

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, plenty of educational opportunities. Ability to transfer after two years. Globally recognised. Good social club, good holiday entitlement, good work/life balance.

Cons

Where do I start? As a writer, I had shoddy equipment, was subject to endless red tape and having to get access to a succession of restricted areas to do my job.

I was stuck in a team that regarded promotion as just not feasible - my manager actually laughed at a colleague of mine who asked her how she would go about getting a promotion. Our team passed information down the line only when absolutely necessary; very frustrating.

Oh, and then there's that atrocious IBM software - Lotus Notes and Symphony - which we had to use. Nobody in their right minds would choose them over the MS alternatives.

Finally, there's the PBC system, on which salary increases and, indeed, one's job ultimately depend. Managers are forced to choose a certain number of employees as under-performing, regardless of whether they're actually doing their job properly. This selection is on a competitive basis, but employees are not allowed access to information on how the decisions are made.

Drop the PBC system, which causes stress and resentment. Drop Lotus Notes and Symphony if you're not going to improve them - they're an industry joke. Have a more transparent system for advancement.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM