IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Global Business Services: Safe, but poor reward

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Safety in Job; consistent long-term projects; Training both classroom, e-learning, and client-site training was excellent

Cons

Poor reward for performance. Partners were forced to dust off age-old PWC policies to reward performance and even that was well below par

Travel policies ruined by long time IBM sales teams taking advantage. Travel policies can't compete with flexibility required by clients of a consulting firm. Need to be separated.

HR policies get worse each year. Impressively bad decisions taken on behalf of 420,000 employees and in no way reflect how a consulting firm should be run. Loses a lot of ground against the private firms (i.e., Deloitte)

Outsource HR management and travel policy. These are two bloated overhead costs that restrict growth of your business. Assume the need to "be seen to be doing something" each year is the reason they come up with incredibly painful and growth smothering policies that cannot let the firm run at it's potential. Separate out policies for your core hardware/software sales business away from your services businesses. Everyone shouldn't have to suffer because of a few bad apples in your traditional sales depts.

12744 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Good experience, difficult to navigate

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company, lots of opportunities and network of people

Cons

Difficult to navigate through political environment

Fairly stable job, no-nonsense and professional benefits.

Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The stability of my particular job and some of the people I have been able to work with are the best parts of working for IBM. It's also relatively easy to look for other job opportunities within IBM before they go to external hiring.

The benefits (salary, health, retirement) are basic but actually quite good, IMO. I'm not sure about the salary part, but my health and retirement benefits are good, including retirement matching (up to 5% of my salary) plus an additional 1%.

Cons

I'm not sure the salary is as competitive as it could be. It seems other newer companies pay more for their engineers.

I don't have a whole lot of advice to give. I've have pretty good managers the whole time I've been employed here.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM