IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Global Business Services: Safe, but poor reward

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Safety in Job; consistent long-term projects; Training both classroom, e-learning, and client-site training was excellent

Cons

Poor reward for performance. Partners were forced to dust off age-old PWC policies to reward performance and even that was well below par

Travel policies ruined by long time IBM sales teams taking advantage. Travel policies can't compete with flexibility required by clients of a consulting firm. Need to be separated.

HR policies get worse each year. Impressively bad decisions taken on behalf of 420,000 employees and in no way reflect how a consulting firm should be run. Loses a lot of ground against the private firms (i.e., Deloitte)

Outsource HR management and travel policy. These are two bloated overhead costs that restrict growth of your business. Assume the need to "be seen to be doing something" each year is the reason they come up with incredibly painful and growth smothering policies that cannot let the firm run at it's potential. Separate out policies for your core hardware/software sales business away from your services businesses. Everyone shouldn't have to suffer because of a few bad apples in your traditional sales depts.

12359 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Good experience, difficult to navigate

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company, lots of opportunities and network of people

Cons

Difficult to navigate through political environment

Used to be an excellent company to work for. Now employees are nothing more than "resources".

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Salaries are competitive.

Cons

This is NOT an engineering-led company. Nearly all executives come out of marketing and sales. Nothing is more important than meeting short-term sales numbers.

Cost-cutting has gotten completely out-of-hand. Have to pay for coffee. Buildings are dingy (half of the lightbulbs are burnt out). Often have to purchase your own hardware out-of-pocket.

IBM is committed to being as profitable as possible. This means replacing their US work force with workers in BRIC countries making 80% less. They've already reduced their US workers by about half, and have no plans on stopping. If I were a software developer 35 years or older, I would fully expect to be laid off in the next 2-3 years. The atmosphere is that the executives view employees (and low-level managers) as nothing more than faceless "resources" that can be replaced with cheaper alternatives. Many important senior level software developers have already left, leaving knowledge gaps all over the place.

IBM feels like a company on the decline. They're pulling no stops to appear as profitable as possible, but mortgaging the company's reputation to do so. They're staying alive by cannibalizing other companies.

Employee morale is down-right awful. Management knows this, since I haven't seen an employee satisfaction survey in many years. I get the impression that executives are trying to make the atmosphere as unpleasant as possible to make their U.S. workers leave on their own so that they don't have to pay them severance packages.

In general, low and mid level management at IBM is good. However, they're pretty much powerless against the whims of the executives who seem to be only interested in short-term profits, and care nothing about employee morale or customer satisfaction.

Advice to executives: Employees are people too. Try treating us with respect. Be honest with us. Don't try to fool us with your fancy marketing-speak, like trying to convince us that replacing pensions with 401k was better for us, or that they're "resource actions" instead of "layoffs". That's just insulting our intelligence. Also, the IBM brand is being seriously tarnished right now, and IBM is getting a bad reputation in the eyes of our customers. IBM is not the unsinkable ship that you think it is.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM