IBM

www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Services unit (GBS) is just a body shop

Current Employee - IT Architect in Washington, DC
Current Employee - IT Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Brand recognition is good. State of the art technology company. Broad range of technologies and opportunities to use them. High business ethics.

Cons

Little respect for employees. Written direction that if you take your vacation, you should work extra to make up for it. Documented minimum acceptable work week is 45 hours. Education opportunities are rare, and usually only offered after hours or weekends. Business is managed on an individual utilization model that motivates employees to charge more hours, not to do a better more efficient job for our services customers. Employee year end evaluations are first measured on who has billed the most hours.

Little opportunity for internal innovation. IBM just buys innovation in the form of acquisitions.

Way too much bureaucracy. Every business opportunity has 6-10 people in charge, client executives, delivery executives, business development executives, practice area executives, sector executives, geography executives, and the list goes on.

Manage the business, not individual utilization. Get rid of all the executive overhead.

12670 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Work-life balance is out of whack

Current Employee - Software Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Brand name. Difficult & challenging assignments: great "boot camp" for future opportunities

Cons

Workload increases constantly. Most of my peers and coworkers are constantly putting in 60-70 hour weeks just to keep up as well as giving up vacation time. We feel like we are being ground to bits at this pace. What used to be a work-life balance benefit (work from home) has turned into you-are-on-call-20hrs/day. I get the pressures of the current economy, but this is not sustainable.

Start asking us for our opinions again in meaningful ways. You need broad coverage from all demographics, not just the un-married 20 somethings.

Good people, awful executive management

Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Orlando, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits, home office, name recognition

Cons

Lack of advancement, salary freezes, offshoring of jobs, executive incompetence and greed, insane focus on internal processes and measurements

Get back to basics with the employees, grow revenue instead of cutting costs

There are newer employer reviews for IBM