There are newer employer reviews for IBM

IBM isn't that great of a place to work.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

There are good discounts with business partners. It looks good on a resume when you look for a new job (and most of us inevitably will).

Cons

Layoffs even when the company's profits are in the billions. The CEO describes layoffs as 'business as usual'. We're expected to create world-class products using worthless, freebie tools that don't work properly. Managers change jobs regularly every two years, leading to instability in every group. Quotas in performance reviews stop careers from progressing. The internal financial results our bonuses are based on are always somehow lower than the public results, so our bonuses are always lower than projected.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like an asset, not disposable parts.

reviews filtered by

Tom Watson is rolling over in his grave...

Former Employee - Middleware Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Middleware Systems Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM

Pros

Opportunity to learn if you are so inclined. Insight into the worst of corporate politics you will encounter anywhere. Chance to develop that ulcer you have always wanted. Best possible people- IBM is a cult not a company, and it is a wonderful thing to be a part of.

Cons

Chance to develop that ulcer you haave always wanted. Absolutely ZERO job security- unless the knowledge that you WILL be eventually eliminated counts as job security. Culture of zero work life/balance. "Bleeding Blue" requires bleeding.

Advice to Management

People are the biggest and best resource of the company. The loyalty that IBM engenders surpasses that of any company in existence. Tom Watson would be ashamed of how employees and their families are now treated. THINK!

2. Great company, but like any large company has its issues.

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM is a large and diverse company that has many opportunities for advancement. It is a great place to start in the industry.

Cons

Being a large company there are many bureaucratic restrictions that prevent progress in a timely fashion. This is especially true given the economic situation, where spending is on hold. Management keeps pushing forward with business as usual on rate and pace of development, but does not back it with capital spending to support that work.

Advice to Management

Define priorities and but our effort towards those items, instead of just trying to do it all on shoe string.