There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Not bad for new employees, but a tough place to work for those with experience.

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM

Pros

There is good opportunity, experience, and exposure for new employees. It's a great place to start to get some experience before moving on to another opportunity.

Cons

Continuous layoffs and work demand - I am often required to work long hours and must give up vacation time in order to meet the schedules. The company seems obsessed with micro-managing the employees doing the work and having TONS of people to track the progress with charts. The company is huge and well-established, but the last 10 years or so has been a real whirlwind. There are continual layoffs every couple years....the departments get disbanded, the employees get laid off, but yet the managers get promoted or moved on to other opportunities.

Empower the employees and get rid of all the micro-managing middle managers.

11844 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Great people. Low pay, compared to amount of work to do.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southbury, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southbury, CT

I worked at IBM

Pros

You get to work with the of team very smart, talented and caring people. IBM somehow gets the best out there. IBM also offers a lot of flexibility, depending what you do: working from home and flexible schedule.

Cons

Pay is not good, at least not in some areas. Starting salary can be pretty low and it takes a lot of time to increase your band (job grade) and pay. There is no training, you learn on the job and workload can be substantial in order to pay attention to details.

Know the processes before you make changes and understand what impact it makes on IBM. Outsourcing jobs overseas may save company some money, but it slows down people in US who have to deal with employees in foreign countries, who don't have clear understanding of what needs to be done.

Great professional peoples but not so great work

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Top notch work life balance in my line of work (IT development). I'm work at home employee since I joined IBM.
    People around me and in other department that I deal with are very professional. I rarely see inter office politics. I never saw intimidation, negativity towards other people etc. 1st and 2nd line managers are always straight forward with us.
    The company is genuinely interested in diversity.
    I have very decent market rate pay package.
    Lots of learning opportunity if you are interested. Since IBM owns numerous software development tools, they are at your disposal, free to use to further your knowledge and career.

Cons

In US locations, I see new project opportunity to on is drying up. There is lot of administrative work involved in my job as software developer and technical lead. There is more operational work then new development opportunity due to cut backs and off shoring.

We need to take more risks and invest in new projects instead of cutting back.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM