IBM

www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Mundane Engineering role with no room for growth

Current Employee - Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
Current Employee - Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Vacation package and benefits are good.

Cons

Incompetent first line management that just takes orders from above. Do not expect to be rewarded for your achievements. There are always budget cuts, travel cost cuts, and little to no money to reward top performers. The overall age of employees is on the older side and all of the older employees refuse to train younger engineers due to the fear that their jobs may be taken over.

Stop treating employees and disposable and recognize them as human beings.

12665 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Big Blue transforms to Big Red as the US workforce is massacred and blood runs in the streets.

Former Employee - 'Anonymous'
    Former Employee - 'Anonymous'

I worked at IBM

Pros

Job flexibility is very nice and a good benefit. Being able to work on your own from time to time and not have to go to an office every day is something that can come in handy. Salary is more or less comparable with the market. Benefits are also just OK. As a rule the best thing about IBM, for the most part, are the people you work with. 99.9% are educated, polite and helpful. Most will go out of their way to assist you with projects, objectives or other areas where you may need some help or guidance to finish your tasks.

Cons

IBM is very self-centered. It places NO VALUE on its USA workforce. We are viewed as an bottom-line expense that needs to be jettisoned as soon as possible. There is a corporate productivity program referred to as LEAN, but internally we all know it stands for Lay off Every American Now. And basically that is what they are doing. Their goal is to move 80% of the existing US workforce to Brazil, India or some other low wage country. So far in the first quarter of 2009 they have already dumped 20,000 US employees. Their complete destruction of hundreds of thousands of American lives quite obviously has no bearing on the conscious of the leadership of this company. They will continue to cut a swath of destruction though their US workforce until "Big Blue" is transformed into a "Big Zero". Samuel Palmisano will laugh all the way to the bank as he destroys this American icon.

Consider early retirement. In other words, take the money and run--please!!!!

Great Brand, Terrible Management

Current Employee - Market Intelligence Professional in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Market Intelligence Professional in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The Name is huge, and there are lots of smart people who are also decent human beings.

Cons

The brand name is the only reason that I selected some areas of satisfaction in this poll, because IBM will help my career growth when I decide to use the brand name to land something much better outside the company. It's pathetic how they bring in talented people, train them, and then stupidly lose them because compensation is sub-par for the level or work and workload, and management is out of touch and arrogant. Great strategy - spend money to hire and train and then let other companies reap the benefits. It seems like the really good people leave unless they become someone's pet and find a political loophole to career advancement. The good ones who stay probably do it for family reasons due to workplace flexibility, or don't want to take a risk... IBM should be one of the most sought after companies to work for, but it's just a place to build a great resume for 2-5 years and move on for anyone with career ambitions.

I haven't worked outside of Market Insights, but from what I hear, this is supposed to be one of the best places to work. Maybe it is by IBM standards, but not by what you would expect. There are way too many politics. Management doesn't even take the time to get to know employees or take an active part in developing them. It's all passive. The employee has to initiate everything (career talk, mentorship, and even just basic learning about how to do the job). You only interact with the first line managers even though the executives make the decisions. If you get a few minutes with them, they act like God. It's an outdated style in today's world. It sounds nice to say that employees should manage their own careers, but there's way too much workload and secrecy to cut through. Most of my senior colleagues tell me that if you want to advance, it's more about wasting working time to put on shows and kiss executive ass than about the quality of the work. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun when you can just leverage the name for 50-100% higher salary and a better title... The thing is that management could avoid that by just respecting and fairly compensating employees when they have the chance, but that makes too much sense.

None, these aren't stupid people. If they cared about employees then they would have showed it by now. We're not expecting perfection, but some real appreciation with fair compensation, actually being able to get benefits like tunition reimbursement, and just respect as professionals. There's TONS of lip service from all levels of management, but very little real action.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM