There are newer employer reviews for IBM

A big company for people from any and every technological background

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM

Pros

- You are amongst some really smart people who have been with the company for ages and ages
- Actively promotes working from home.

Cons

Since most people work from home, at times the interaction between the team as a whole is less.

Advice to Management

None

reviews filtered by

Good place to be, don't stay too long

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM has lots of good technology and good opportunities across a lot of different divisions, ie Hardware, Software, Services. The people are typically great, very smart and professional. If you work hard and have results, you are typically rewarded. There are lots of different opportunities for sales, technical, and management oriented people.

Cons

IBM is a VERY large company with the accompanying bureurocracy. The current environment in the US is a bit disconcerting - with everyone constantly looking over their shoulder for the next layoff. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will ever change as IBM seems to now use resource actions as they way they change business, rather than actually changing the business. Therefore, there is no real loyalty to the company any longer.

Advice to Management

Think about making some sort of commitments about stability so that people are constantly feeling like they need to look for the next thing. Stop outsourcing when you want to be a good corporate citizen. Focus on the employee again, rather than just quarterly earnings, and the earning will follow.

Working at IBM can be exciting & rewarding, but watch your back, keep your resume up to date and never stop networking.

Former Employee - Client Manager in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Client Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at IBM

Pros

Stable company; industry leader in many areas; ongoing opportunity to get involved in new areas of the business; focus on customer satisfaction and customer value; innovative; leader in open systems; great supporter/promoter of women, minorities, etc;

Cons

- I worked there for over 20 years and saw one of their core principles, "respect for the individual", set aside and replaced with "what ever is best for IBM". On a scale of 1-4 (1 = best), I was rated a 2 or 2+ for every year for over 20 years. I made my quota in 2008, was told multiple times during 2008 what a great job I was doing by my manager, then I was laid off in Feb 2009.
    - Staffed very thin - be sure to take your laptop with you on vacation and set aside a few hours a day to work. Actively trying to move most of their US based resources off shore to lower cost countries ("stealth" layoffs of over 4600 people in Feb 2009 never announced to the press).
    - In sales, a generally high base salary (good) but limited leverage as they always adjust the quota, or ratchet back the pay plan to limit potential payouts.
    - Constant change and reorganizations, warranted in some cases, however it's just movement for the sake of movement at times. Management is sometimes disconnected from the relationships that the front line team builds with customers.

Advice to Management

Add "respect for the individual" back into the fundamental values of the company.