There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Operations  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Sales Operations in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Smart company, lots of opportunities, my position was a work from home position which is great for people who have families.

Cons

Because of its size sometimes it's hard to determine who is responsible for what.

11628 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

IBM provided a wealth of opportunities for career growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Littleton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of very savvy people were my co-workers

Cons

Can't think of any cons to working there; I left to see what was out there and would lobe to go back.

Big Blue, does not always mean Big $'s

Former Employee - CSSR (Client Software Sales Representative )  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - CSSR (Client Software Sales Representative ) in Bethesda, MD

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has worldwide recognition. You get invited to every (or close to it) technical evaluation. There are a lot of opportunities to work on...along with a team of fellow IBMers. There are so many people involved on accounts. This is especially true on high profile accounts. You can "work at half speed" and still be a "hero" because there are so many people working alongside you. That is one of the reasons why IBMers stay there for so long. Being hired at IBM is a validation of your merit, it’s like getting the "good housekeeping seal of approval."

Great resume builder
    Good / Great benefits

I would recommend this company but you need to go in with open eyes...not star struck.

Cons

From a software sales reps standpoint, anyone working at IBM beyond 5 years is perceived in the open market as a person who "settles and is not motivated." With one caveat, unless you are being interviewed by a former IBMer then you might be seen as part of the “club.”
    The pay is fair. IBM believes they do not need to compensate their employees on the high-end because they believe that employees will get intangible value by being able to say that they work(ed) at IBM.
    The company is truly run by accountants...this becomes painfully clear if you are due a large commission. The accountants will create a scenario that will allow them to change your compensation plan while the deal is booking, so that you don't get paid or get paid far less than what you are due. There have been many lawsuits filed by former employees affirming what I just stated...including myself.

In several cases, IGS (IBM Global Services) commissioned personnel get paid more commission if they sell the competitors’ products over IBM’s on a project. (e.g. Oracle versus DB2) I know it sounds crazy but ask...you'll be surprised at the answer.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!