There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great Company....when ur 40+

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Health insurance benefits. When I was there I was fully covered under a PPO plan without paying a dime from my pocket.

Cons

Low Salary
Really only doing IBM related product work. As a technical guy I did not like the fact that we were always looking to use IBM products/solutions for customers instead of what is best product/solution for the customers needs. Did not like the 44 hour minimum work week.

Don't be all about selling IBM software and hardware. Do REAL consulting

11867 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

IBM is on a disturbing path. Offshoring most US jobs then using landed India resources to fill what little remains.

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements while they last.
    Potential to be great.

Cons

Trend is to value internal cost over client service.
    Married to Offshoring.
    Questionable legality of replacing US workers with landed India workers (roll-off project then layoff company).
    Top heavy.

Pay much better attention to the word of those in the trenches. Right now, executives thru DPEs are hammering square pegs into round holes with regard to offshoring, then running away when it comes time to deliver to clients.

Actively trying to outsource all engineering talent overseas

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are really nice and the people who do work locally are all very bright and dedicated.

Cons

I worked for a company that was acquired by IBM. While IBM has a lot of talented people working for it, it quickly became apparent that as a highly paid engineer at IBM you are considered a liability. We were actively interviewing engineers in India and Singapore to replace us and we told to expect yearly layoffs. They delivered on that promise. To say the mood was sour is an understatement. The worst part is the quality of our products suffered greatly and eventually there will be no one in the U.S. who actually knows how the software works.

Actually try and appreciate talent in the U.S. and don't see outsourcing as a panacea that solves all of their problems.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM