There are newer employer reviews for IBM

IBM Global Services -

Former Employee - Global Project Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Global Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked on some great projects.
Some nice people
work from home

Cons

Most US jobs going overseas.
Your HR manager has no leverage. Most of the time you don't even meet your manager face to face and most of the time they have no clue in what you are doing.
Toxic Environment

From my experience, management could care less about employees. They care about making numbers and bonus.

11853 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Stayed too long. Much better work elsewhere.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM's salary and benefits relatively speaking are better than average despite the annual increases in employee contributions. IBM has well defined processes in the various parts of the business which enables employees young in their career to learn good skills. To those individuals new to IBM, stay long enough to obtain the experience the job offers, then move on as IBM isn't good for you long term.

Cons

IBM has lost its shine. I am certain that Thomas Watson continues to turn in his grave as to what has happened to his company. IBM has long moved away from gaining new ideas and starting businesses from scratch to one of acquisitions. As products move through their life cycle, the work is outsourced to places like India where IBM can reduce its labor cost. The net affect is that the employees are discarded as the products they have built and supported are no longer generating the revenue they once were. New opportunities exist only in locations where companies that were acquired are located. Unless you have experience with the products from the companies acquired and are willing to relocate, your future at IBM is limited. IBM is a pro at reducing its labor through layoffs while minimizing the publicity of downsizing and outsourcing. Once you see the death spiral begin at your site (especially sites that have been around a long time), be proactive and find a new opportunity elsewhere. It may seem daunting at first, especially the longer you have stayed at IBM, but in the long run you will be better off (and much happier too).

I have been at IBM long enough to have numerous middle managers. None of them do a decent job with people management and their technical skills degrade to a point where they are close to useless. Upper management should take a hard look at their middle managers and their contributions. On numerous occasions my employees rightly escalated their annual performance appraisals due to middle managers playing favorites. Nothing I could say/demonstrate would change the middle manager's view (despite the middle manager having little interaction with these individuals). It took an outside (of the organization) review to fix the situation. The middle manager remains at IBM while the majority of the 60+ person organization was laid off across 2 RIFs. This middle manager and his executive who also is still at IBM were unsuccessful in building/maintaining/re-missioning the team.

One of the very best, Top notch - Unfortunately with major drawbacks

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am writing this review as a formar employee of IBM for a period 11 years and having worked both in AMS and GBS (formerly AIS), I believe I have thorough perspective that is agreed by current IBM Employees. Second to none, great project environments are easy with IBM, excellent company/brand name and good learning opportunities. Basically you are on your own most times, managing projects as well your professional growth. I found salary was at a median level compared to Deloitte and Accenture, but later in the last 3 years I heard IBM paid 25~30% more for even lower band levels in consulting. Check it out for yourself. If you are fortunate to be with the right Manager and working for right IBM clients, I bet you would not leave this organization.

Cons

Your manager matters the most for your professional growth, I did not have a good one for the last 6 years. Your resource deployment lead needs to be understanding your exact skill levels and propose you for good projects, I did not have this either. Many of my colleagues had the same issue, Not just not having good managers/mentors but trouble finding the right project within the clientele. Well, to go above a step, you need to know a Senior person (Partner/VP or Associate Partner) that knows you very well and supports you, If you are not in good network, your career growth may be stalled.

- Re-tooling the current consultants to advanced level
    - Eliminate PA/PBC System - Work alternatives
    - Educate Resource Deployment Managers to understand IBM Consultants and their skills to fit them in right projects. They are doing clerical work only.
    - Managers are Managers for name skae, Most cases they are worried about their career growth or their projects. This needs to change.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM