12046 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

IBM Global Services -

Former Employee - Global Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Global Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked on some great projects.
Some nice people
work from home

Cons

Most US jobs going overseas.
Your HR manager has no leverage. Most of the time you don't even meet your manager face to face and most of the time they have no clue in what you are doing.
Toxic Environment

From my experience, management could care less about employees. They care about making numbers and bonus.

Other Reviews for IBM

One of the very best, Top notch - Unfortunately with major drawbacks

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am writing this review as a formar employee of IBM for a period 11 years and having worked both in AMS and GBS (formerly AIS), I believe I have thorough perspective that is agreed by current IBM Employees. Second to none, great project environments are easy with IBM, excellent company/brand name and good learning opportunities. Basically you are on your own most times, managing projects as well your professional growth. I found salary was at a median level compared to Deloitte and Accenture, but later in the last 3 years I heard IBM paid 25~30% more for even lower band levels in consulting. Check it out for yourself. If you are fortunate to be with the right Manager and working for right IBM clients, I bet you would not leave this organization.

Cons

Your manager matters the most for your professional growth, I did not have a good one for the last 6 years. Your resource deployment lead needs to be understanding your exact skill levels and propose you for good projects, I did not have this either. Many of my colleagues had the same issue, Not just not having good managers/mentors but trouble finding the right project within the clientele. Well, to go above a step, you need to know a Senior person (Partner/VP or Associate Partner) that knows you very well and supports you, If you are not in good network, your career growth may be stalled.

- Re-tooling the current consultants to advanced level
    - Eliminate PA/PBC System - Work alternatives
    - Educate Resource Deployment Managers to understand IBM Consultants and their skills to fit them in right projects. They are doing clerical work only.
    - Managers are Managers for name skae, Most cases they are worried about their career growth or their projects. This needs to change.

The good , the bad and the ugly!

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay, flexible work schedule, access to brilliant minds! Had the privilege of working with some great individuals.

Cons

Pitting team against team, performance measurement tools did not give managers enough leeway.... Line managers really had very little say in employee reviews and compensation - ..Teamwork was promoted, however not supported . Cost reduction trumped quality every time! Focus was way too much on short term rather than long term goals.

Stop playing 'the game' and take a stand and make what was a terrific company terrific again! Hire North American work force rather than off shoring.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!