IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Inter

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Tech giant with massive resources and really talented people. You work on products that are touched by millions in mission critical areas. For such a big company, it feels very nimble. You can easily reach any employee worldwide through Sametime. It feels like a tight-knit environment, even thought you are 1 or hundreds of thousands. Every manager I have dealt with is awesome. Uber professionalism throughout.

Cons

It is a big company. It takes weeks to do some things that would be done in hours in a startup. I wish product development was more streamlined. That similar products were merged or shut down. And that products would not be saddled with every single possible feature.

Every single manager I have dealt with is awesome. So keep picking good people.

12359 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

In an imperfect world, IBM has enough diversity to find a good fit for almost anybody.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Huge sets of technology to play with daily.
    Experts in almost any field you can imagine are available to work with and be inspired by.
    At the ground level there's amazing flexibility allowed in how you get the job done.
    While IBM has a reputation for training leaders, it's more that IBM is a great testing ground for potential leaders. There are opportunities and there is competition to sharpen skills all around, you just can't wait for it to be called a "leadership" training (although some of those are good too).

Cons

You have to be patient sometimes to get the opportunity to work on what's inspiring and do less fun job assignments until it happens.
    The review process is somewhat silly and does not encourage employees to give their best, rather it makes you learn politics (valuable in itself) so that you can work the system.
    Too many people think they are too small to make a difference at IBM when the reality is that for IBM to work everybody has to know and recognize that they can change the system.

Become the social business we say we are. We're "more" social than we have been. We empower more change than we have in the past, but there's orders of magnitude of change left before we are more truly a social business.

Good Brand, Good Experience

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of flexiblity, good training, career advancement opportunities

Cons

highly bureaucratic internal processes sometimes difficult to navigate.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM