There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great company, good training, sometimes a lot of red tape...

Current Employee - Client Representative  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Client Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, great experience, great access

Cons

Enormous, difficult international, low pay

Appreciate your good employees

11573 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Growing pains

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

IBM seems very generous with the way it handles its employees. Between the benefits package, IBM events, community discounts, essentially unlimited sick leave, and flexible work schedule, it has made for a fantastic starting point for an IT career.

Cons

IBM is implementing a new system for technical support, and it is currently going through understandable growing pains. For the most part management still seems to be trying to figure out how to best handle the new system, and many odd decisions are made that often hinder efficiency in favor of process.

Try not to be so afraid of third party software. IBM is really good at many things, but many items in their software portfolio should be scrapped.

In an imperfect world, IBM has enough diversity to find a good fit for almost anybody.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Huge sets of technology to play with daily.
    Experts in almost any field you can imagine are available to work with and be inspired by.
    At the ground level there's amazing flexibility allowed in how you get the job done.
    While IBM has a reputation for training leaders, it's more that IBM is a great testing ground for potential leaders. There are opportunities and there is competition to sharpen skills all around, you just can't wait for it to be called a "leadership" training (although some of those are good too).

Cons

You have to be patient sometimes to get the opportunity to work on what's inspiring and do less fun job assignments until it happens.
    The review process is somewhat silly and does not encourage employees to give their best, rather it makes you learn politics (valuable in itself) so that you can work the system.
    Too many people think they are too small to make a difference at IBM when the reality is that for IBM to work everybody has to know and recognize that they can change the system.

Become the social business we say we are. We're "more" social than we have been. We empower more change than we have in the past, but there's orders of magnitude of change left before we are more truly a social business.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!