There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Generally poor company to work for - many more cons than listed

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, IBMr's seem professional and knowledgable.

Cons

Poor management structure - matrix no one can figure out who actually is accountable or in charge. Incredibly pitiful (complex, difficult to use, myriad of security and login features, etc. etc) internal business and HR types processes, procedures for employee everyday use. Unbelieveably poor support for employees on their computers and software. My boss was without his computer for about 3 weeks - the employees computer is required for access to everything they need for our work. I personally lost my Lotus Notes (required e-mail system) for 5 business days with no way to get to it accept drive to an office and login on a walk-up station. Lotus Notes owned by IBM is a far weaker e-mail system than MS Outlook. Lotus Notes and all other internal software and systems are very cumbersome and not user friendly.

IBM has recently made many moves to cut costs at the employees expense and loss of productivity. It is truely a self service organization. There is constant pressure to improve your utilization (a term used for maximizing billable hours). Managment pressures many ways to not take your vacation, holidays, etc to improve your utilization - its part of the culture.

IBM in the last month announced they are going to withhold 401k contributions to the end of the year (netting IBM a very large $10's of millions in time value of money/interest) and not funding those that aren't still with IBM by Dec 15th of any given year. A quick analysis of this - nets IBM $84 Million annually +/- 50%.

IBM is willing to try to market themselves in many areas they really have limited or no knowledge or expertise in (many areas of the "Smarter Planet"). Personally witnessed this from involvement in many marketing efforts. IBM uses high dollar marketing executives who are very capable but limited knowledge of the basics in the markets they are persuing.

IBM's acquisition process can in many instances slash/trash and burn acquired companies. The company I worked for was purchased and has in a few years been basically put out of business - former company employees laid off, attrition seeing the handwritting on the wall with very few survivors.

Enough said.....

Read the Cons and do something about these practices before IBM declines.

11618 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Decent company undergoing transitions to be a better one

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job autonomy is probably the best part of this job. Pay is adequate and work/life balance is probably the best in the industry. .

Cons

Many of the projects are not really "Strategy" and more based around implementation. If you want real strategy consulting go to BCG or McKinsey

IBM stinks. They must be hiring people to leave good reviews here.

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some people are ok to work with.

Cons

Lots of lifers here.

If you are in engineering, salaries are below industry averages.

Constant layoffs. You're never safe, especially if you are a top performer.

Insulting raises and bonuses for many extra hours worked.

1st line management is incompetent. I had one good manager in my four years.

Boring products. IBM has a follower mentality and great at making product clones. They simply acquire or copy successful products and leverage the IBM brand recognition. As an example, my VP gave our product team 90 days to reproduce HP's cloud management offering just so we could have a similar product in the market and get a few customers. LAME!

Quit ,so someone with real creativity and customer empathy can be brought in, 'cause ex-sales people just don't cut it as CEO (Palmisano and now Rometty).

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!