engineer position at IBM San Jose

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work environment is great, people great to work with

Cons

nothing to mention, this a great company

Advice to Management

none

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. perks

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very independent work culture. minimal office interaction in your home city; basically you're remote from your home city and travel to your clients. some may view this as a con.

Cons

minimal interaction with managers. excessive paperwork required annually to document annual performance. some may prefer to work independently.

2. In an imperfect world, IBM has enough diversity to find a good fit for almost anybody.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge sets of technology to play with daily. Experts in almost any field you can imagine are available to work with and be inspired by. At the ground level there's amazing flexibility allowed in how you get the job done. While IBM has a reputation for training leaders, it's more that IBM is a great testing ground for potential leaders. There are opportunities and there is competition to sharpen skills all around, you just can't wait for it to be called a "leadership" training (although some of those are good too).

Cons

You have to be patient sometimes to get the opportunity to work on what's inspiring and do less fun job assignments until it happens. The review process is somewhat silly and does not encourage employees to give their best, rather it makes you learn politics (valuable in itself) so that you can work the system. Too many people think they are too small to make a difference at IBM when the reality is that for IBM to work everybody has to know and recognize that they can change the system.

Advice to Management

Become the social business we say we are. We're "more" social than we have been. We empower more change than we have in the past, but there's orders of magnitude of change left before we are more truly a social business.