12049 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

IBM Hardware Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company to work for, lots of room for growth, benefits are great, and really intelligent people to work with. Great networking opportunity before moving on to the next big company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes there can be red tape that slows down any big company. If you are in sales, it's a demanding and tough job but the perks are great. However, stay in the sales position long enough and you could face unobtainable quotas. This is especially true if you get a bad batch of accounts to manage. Some folks are luckier than others in the cards they get dealt with. Also, if you get a hard headed boss that tries to put you on an improvement plan to get rid of you, better start finding another opportunity in another division or get out of the company! Thankfully I was saved because I had enough connections at the company to be assigned to a different group!

Don't ding a sales executive just because the economy is down (I got laid off in 2009) and expect people to continue buying at unrealistic levels. By the time I left, my quota was up to 15 Million PER QUARTER and no one was going to buy that much hardware in a recession! Most of my other colleagues either got laid off with me at the same time or they lasted another three years and then got the axe.

Other Reviews for IBM

Good place to work, but not quick enough for ambitious professionals.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Somers, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Somers, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Job security and stability.
    - Education opportunities for employees is great.
    - Incredible network of professionals. The people in this company are top notch.
    - Wide range of job opportunities if you are looking to change career paths.

Cons

- The size of company limits advancement opportunities, especially as you move up the ranks.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for the IBM brand has benefits. Excellent benefits, but pay can vary greatly depending on how high value your work is. Services is more low value, margins are low and so are pay scales. That said, there are also some computing areas that are high paying and high value, if you are lucky enough to have earned those skills.

Cons

IBM is an ocean to work in. There is move to relocate work towards global delivery centers and tier 3 cities and away from the work from home model to reduce costs. This means layoffs for those high paying jobs unless you are willing to relocate to these centers. If you are a rock star and perform high value technical work or client facing work that involves intimate knowledge of client domain there is a good chance you will not get RA-ed.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!