There are newer employer reviews for IBM

IBM Hardware Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company to work for, lots of room for growth, benefits are great, and really intelligent people to work with. Great networking opportunity before moving on to the next big company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes there can be red tape that slows down any big company. If you are in sales, it's a demanding and tough job but the perks are great. However, stay in the sales position long enough and you could face unobtainable quotas. This is especially true if you get a bad batch of accounts to manage. Some folks are luckier than others in the cards they get dealt with. Also, if you get a hard headed boss that tries to put you on an improvement plan to get rid of you, better start finding another opportunity in another division or get out of the company! Thankfully I was saved because I had enough connections at the company to be assigned to a different group!

Don't ding a sales executive just because the economy is down (I got laid off in 2009) and expect people to continue buying at unrealistic levels. By the time I left, my quota was up to 15 Million PER QUARTER and no one was going to buy that much hardware in a recession! Most of my other colleagues either got laid off with me at the same time or they lasted another three years and then got the axe.

11597 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Amazing

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment, Nice coworkers, Innovative company

Cons

The location was not my favorite

none

Stodgy, bureaucratic, and full of infighting

Former Employee - Research Staff Member  in  Yorktown Heights, NY
    Former Employee - Research Staff Member in Yorktown Heights, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They're not going to go out of business any time soon. There are some very very smart people there, and they might talk to you once in a while. They have nice buildings, but you won't get to work in one.

Cons

They are frickketty *HUGE*. Your project will get lost in the shuffle. The divisions of the company are perpetually in conflict. Your project will get cancelled when executives change, which happens every year or so. They have more bureaucracy and internal processes than the federal government. IBMers often spend years in miserable corners of the company. Pretty much *everyone* there is miserable much of the time though.

Most of you (management) should cease to be management.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!