IBM Hardware Sales

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company to work for, lots of room for growth, benefits are great, and really intelligent people to work with. Great networking opportunity before moving on to the next big company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes there can be red tape that slows down any big company. If you are in sales, it's a demanding and tough job but the perks are great. However, stay in the sales position long enough and you could face unobtainable quotas. This is especially true if you get a bad batch of accounts to manage. Some folks are luckier than others in the cards they get dealt with. Also, if you get a hard headed boss that tries to put you on an improvement plan to get rid of you, better start finding another opportunity in another division or get out of the company! Thankfully I was saved because I had enough connections at the company to be assigned to a different group!

Advice to Management

Don't ding a sales executive just because the economy is down (I got laid off in 2009) and expect people to continue buying at unrealistic levels. By the time I left, my quota was up to 15 Million PER QUARTER and no one was going to buy that much hardware in a recession! Most of my other colleagues either got laid off with me at the same time or they lasted another three years and then got the axe.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

IBM Review

Current Employee - Executive Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Executive Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of Options in pursuing Career Goals Management Flexible about vacations Compensation seems fair in general

Cons

Questionable Lay off practices. (ie High Perfomers being let go) Cut back onsite education funding Large environment causes communication issues New 401K Funding Policy (All Matching funds deposited at end of year)

Advice to Management

Management should be more actively involved in managing/guiding top performers. IBM does a good job providing tools but management seems to think of it as their lowest priority to get involved.

2. Breadth of resources available; Get to see International picture

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breadth of resources available; Get to see International picture

Cons

Too fat at times too run fast

Advice to Management

become more nimble