IBM

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great people, great experience

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to gain skills and grow a great career.
Internal access to lots of resources and a decent mentorship program provide options for personal development.

Cons

Sometimes the size of the corp can be daunting.
Need lot of self motivation to get anything accomplished.
For essentially an IT organization the internal help desk is strictly a self service model.

Encourage finding a buddy or make sure your first line managers are well training in the soft skills

12317 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Great coworkers and a commitment to education

Former Employee - Finance Pre-Professional in Somers, NY
    Former Employee - Finance Pre-Professional in Somers, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. All were very nice and pleasant, especially managers, who are also very understanding. I had my 21st birthday while I was working there and my manager said he'd be angry if I came into work the day after and that I should go out and enjoy myself. Highly recommend interning at IBM. It seemed that every single employee that I worked with had been there since the start of their careers and would never leave.

Cons

Very boring routine, day in and day out. However, it helped me discover that accounting is not my thing.

Keep educating and promoting from within!

A company that truly invests in its employees and the global community

Former Employee - Strategy & Change Consultant, Public Sector in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Strategy & Change Consultant, Public Sector in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee benefits (healthcare and 401k), competitive salary, work/life balance, promotional ladder, opportunities outside of initial career position, executive management grown internally

Cons

Lower annual bonuses than major consulting companies like McKinsey, Accenture, BCG, etc, rely on "hour glass" resource model so college hires are sometimes isolated from other young professionals in the company if you're stuck on mid-long term client site projects.

At the time that I was departing the company 5 years ago, management was beginning to invest more time, money, and resources into social events and team building exercises. Because IBM consulting relies on more experienced career professionals than college hires and junior resources compared to major consulting companies like McKinsey, Accenture, BCG, etc., there is less of a familial culture at the bottom of the company that other places.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM