There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Toxic Culture

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was decent. benefits were good.

Cons

Not a growing organization so there is not a lot of potential to move up. A lot of older people who are not open to new ideas and are threatened by younger people. Not much teamwork. Everyone is out for themselves and vie to make each other look bad.

Probably too late to turn things around.

reviews filtered by

Large career mistake...

Former Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At least where I worked, job was fairly stable likely due to industry(security). I was never in fear of losing my job.

Cons

Nothing but lateral promotions...the concept of monetary raises for promotions does not exist at IBM...literally you will not get a raise or on the off chance you are deemed irreplaceable the most "out of band" raise I have ever seen was 6% and this was for someone very important to crucial projects.

IBM is not on the cutting edge of anything, they acquire companies who are and then pretend it's their innovation at work. They rely on people unfamiliar with the industry of these acquisitions to manage the resources/sell the products, after stripping them down to bare bones level...

IBM Managers already know...every one I spoke to was very candid about how tied their hands are with any HR functions and just keep showing up to work to pay their bills. This is not a career place, it was literally eat at you from the inside until you finally realize 20 years later you have no marketable skills left.

2. A learning experience

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM brand name is well recognised in the industry. There are lots of diverse and exciting opportunities.
    I was able to move across the country with IBM. Great group of coworkers.

Cons

Utilization targets for GBS throw work-life balance in a tizzy. IBM's raises and bonuses are ludicrous. Finding opportunities within IBM is dependent on strength of your network.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM